TN: 2012 PYCM Ancegnieres

2012 Pierre Yves Colin Morey Les Ancegnieres (Chassagne-Montrachet, Cote de Beaune, France)

This little vineyard is a hidden gem, just below Batard-Montrachet, offering a beautiful glimpse into the beauty of Batard at a much lower tariff.

Ancegnieres has the oldest vines of any vineyard PYCM uses at 88 years, and this wine has the complexity you’d expect to come from old vines.

Pale gold in the glass, this wine has a very pretty nose of white peach and lemon zest and a hint of flint, with a lovely, rich, but balanced palate of stone fruits and great minerality and zingy but not overwhelming acidity. The finish is long and complex.

2012 is a bit of an underrated vintage for whites, I think. If you can find these they run ~$100, which is expensive for a village Chassagne but pretty good value given its pedigree.

Sounds delicious! Appreciate the TN.

Great value play here, relatively speaking.

Annoying nerd alert below:

I believe his oldest vines are actually found in a pinot plot in Santenay. Planted in 1900!

it tasted even better when it cost $50.

These bottles was ~70 from zachy’s dc, but as soon as I got them they jacked the price to 100

I’m having this wine tonight and it drinks well above its village status. Golden yellow with some apple and honey, a touch of good sulfur, some lime, and great length. Definitely in a good spot now.

Update after a couple hours the nose is more effusive with honey and fennel and plenty of spice and acid. Excellent with half the bottle saved for tomorrow to see its evolution.

drank even better for what you likely paid!

Yes, love this bottling. The 2014’s were/are brilliant–didn’t pay exorbitantly for them, but haven’t been offered any recently. I still get Chevenottes albeit now north of $100.

Nice work Michael.

Would appreciate if anybody could offer some feedback on PYCM 2012s in general. I agree with OP that it seems to be a relatively underrated vintage for white burgundy in general, but I have not been fortunate enough to taste any of Pierre Yves’ '12s in particular. I’d be curious to hear others experiences - especially with the C-M 1ers.

Thank you!

Michael’s work was 2 years ago! It is a great wine. I buy it from a few producers, often spelled Enseigneres. Super.