TN: 2010 Gramercy Cellars Mourvedre (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

• 2010 Gramercy Cellars Mourvedre - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/20/2019)
    Inky dark purple red with a bramble, loganberry nose. On opening was a bit jammy, but on the second night started to shine and the mourvedre started to exert its character of acid and chewy tannins resulting in a nice balance on the reserved side while still showing considerable fruit and body. Getting a bit of lemon cola. Leveled off and night three similar to night two. Should last darn near for ever with a little decant for now, I just open and give a night on the counter. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I’ve got a this plus a Rasa ‘10 Mourvèdre I want to drink blind with a few Bandols to see how they compare.

Throw in B. Leighton Mourvedre too.

As for Gramercy, I don’t think Greg makes any wine that is less than great…super consistent across varieties and processed points.

Years ago on recommendation I bought a case of '07 Jumilla Monastrell which was a bit austere for my tastes at the time which went more toward bold fruity Syrah. I would be interested to see how I would like it now. Over the years I have come to appreciate the more restrained mourvedre and blends. I have some '11 Rasa Vox Populi, I only buy from the cooler vintages now, they take a bit of time as evidenced by the austerity the BP MSG blend, so no hurry to open.

Mourvedre continues to be one of my favorite varieties to work with. I have not explored many WA ones but I should. The ‘challenge’ to me with so many domestic mourvedres are they are simply too ripe and therefore taste like ‘generic reds’ rather than having the fruit/funk dichotomy that I adore about the variety.

Cheers.

Larry, I appreciate your comments on the forum and should extend my vision south a bit.

Diurnal shift in WA really helps prevent this in the correct regions like Yakima Valley.

Greg Harrington makes some killer wines. Had to opportunity to meet with him and taste his wines back in 2017 during one of his market trips.