Advice on used Vinotheque wine cabinet purchase

Hi folks,
I stumbled across a 288-bottle Vinotheque wine cabinet on Craigslist. Seller claims the unit is 12 years old, originally purchased for $4,500. Problem is he says the thermostat is “stuck” at 55 degrees, but is working. I’m actually fine with that temp, but I am concerned other issues may arise. Seller is asking $1500+$200 for delivery, but given the age of the unit and issues I might offer $1000 including delivery of the unit. I did find the same thermostat on eBay for about $20, but not 100% if that’s the source of the problem. Should I steer away from this? What do you all think is a reasonable offer?

Post for reference:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/app/d/concord-wine-refrigerator-wine-cellar/6811265422.html

12 years in, start to worry about the compressor/cooling and then all you have is a storage cabinet. Start low on your offer, can increase later

Yeah, agreed. Factor in $3-400 for a service from someone local. It only going down to 55 might not be the thermostat, at 12 years old there may be a minor leak and then you’re in for a regas and a sealant which isn’t always effective.

I think its a lot of money for a big question mark. The other issue is the unconventional cooling unit build - I think Whisperkool have taken over from Vinotheque, and so replacement parts might not be straightforward. It having a passive condenser changes things a bit too, it’ll be that much more expensive just because of its size - fixing it could run into 4 figures and then you don’t have the option of just dropping in a new unit instead.

If it was $250-500 I’d consider gambling, but it’s just too much of a risk to spend more than that.

Love the racking on it… But I’d gladly pay twice that for a new unit covered with warranty and better electricity efficiency - would wager the compressor on that thing probably hums pretty good at that age as well.

I had one “rebuilt” (Vinotheque 450) at about that age. Numerous parts were replaced including compressor. Thermostat was replaced at about year 10. Now the unit is 20 years old, still quiet and holds the temp. As the original owner I certainly have gotten my use out of it. Hopefully it can last a few more years before we downsize / relocate / retire.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I’m going to go with a new unit.