Merry Edwards sold

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

Merry Edwards sold

#1 Post by Mike Maguire » February 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am

Roederer has purchased Merry Edwards, should be a good thing.??

EHeffner

Re: Merry Edwards sold

#2 Post by EHeffner » February 22nd, 2019, 8:13 am

How should this affect quality or pricing? I love their SB but is already on the high end of my price range for SB’s
E v @ n

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Hank Victor » February 22nd, 2019, 8:19 am

I think its a good thing. Only time will tell how it plays off. It looks like Roederer is comfortable with continuity at the winery and at the moment doesn't plan to make a huge overhaul. I think it is also a good thing when the seller is happy and comfortable with the sale / transition. I am sure the payout was nice too. I doubt the style of the wine will change much as its already pretty unique and responsible for the success the brand has experienced.

Roederer stated that they want to increase DTC relationships. I doubt they will rapidly increase pricing as that would turn off many consumers especially long time supporters. Like I said before only time will tell.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

P. D e r d e y n

#4 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 22nd, 2019, 8:39 am

Maybe we'll get some Russian River sparklers out of it champagne.gif
Patrick

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by MitchTallan » February 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am

There's a name that mysteriously does not get as much mention as it deserves.
At one time, Merry Edwards was right up there with the other top names in Calif pinot during the height of the pinot-bubble.
I have one or two of the more expensive bottlings hiding in my cellar somewhere. I forget that my few Cali pinots are not going to age the way my Burgs and Oregonians do. Excepting my ABC Knox Alexanders but I digress. They need to be located and consumed.

Matt K

#6 Post by Matt K » February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Interesting. Hopefully the quality of wine will stay high.

As a side note, I definitely hope the tasting experience doesn't change. That was one of the highlights of our last trip out there, the service was impeccable. They were very generous hosts.
Matt Killman - ITB

Nick Ryan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Nick Ryan » February 22nd, 2019, 9:25 am

Matt K wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 am

As a side note, I definitely hope the tasting experience doesn't change. That was one of the highlights of our last trip out there, the service was impeccable. They were very generous hosts.
Agreed they are a must visit on any RRV getaway.
http://sites.google.com/site/nryan4242/CellarPlannerV11.zip

Ian Brand

#8 Post by Ian Brand » February 22nd, 2019, 10:02 am

MitchTallan wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am
There's a name that mysteriously does not get as much mention as it deserves.
At one time, Merry Edwards was right up there with the other top names in Calif pinot during the height of the pinot-bubble.
I have one or two of the more expensive bottlings hiding in my cellar somewhere. I forget that my few Cali pinots are not going to age the way my Burgs and Oregonians do. Excepting my ABC Knox Alexanders but I digress. They need to be located and consumed.
Remember that 90% of American wine is produced in California. so Cali Pinot to Oregon Pinot is not apples to apples.
Ian
Last edited by Ian Brand on February 22nd, 2019, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mike Maguire » February 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am

I agree with Hank’s take .I think it is a good thing that Roederer purchased it rather than some Mega corp.I think quality will stay at a high level.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 22nd, 2019, 10:13 am

Nick Ryan wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:25 am
Matt K wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Agreed they are a must visit on any RRV getaway.
Agreed.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

David Baum

#11 Post by David Baum » February 22nd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Sucks! Love her SB and being able to pop in for a free tasting anytime

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Bdklein » February 22nd, 2019, 3:39 pm

Interesting to me that her children did not want to get involved in the family business.
Bruce Klein

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by JDavisRoby » February 22nd, 2019, 4:12 pm

Must be why Merry Edwards has been so scarce for my local restaurants and retail this winter.
Joshu@

Ben M a n d l e r

#14 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » February 22nd, 2019, 7:23 pm

Been a huge fan of her wines for many years, long may the quality stay so high. And agreed with other posters that visiting is a must - really great experience, and free to boot.
ITB...or at least on my way...

S.Homewood

#15 Post by S.Homewood » February 22nd, 2019, 7:47 pm

Sad to hear, as ME was my first "big time" wine purchase many years ago. My wife and I even did a tasting there many many moons ago.
$ t e v e H 0 m e w 0 0 d

YLee

#16 Post by YLee » February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

I will buy some '16 & '17.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Thomas Keim » February 22nd, 2019, 10:00 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
Screw that - this woman produced some of the greatest Chardonnays in California history - the only reason she turned to Pinot Noir was because she couldn't sell her Chardonnays back in the 1980s. The whites she did at Matanzas Creek back in the early 80s are still SO vivid in my mind -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

T. Williams

#18 Post by T. Williams » February 23rd, 2019, 2:48 am

I hope they keep the wines the same. The SB is one of my go to summer whites. I can't say that I have much experience with the pinot, but it has always been something I've thought about. But the SB, dare I say, the best American SB year over year.
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Joe V

#19 Post by Joe V » February 23rd, 2019, 8:22 am

Thomas Keim wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 10:00 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
Screw that - this woman produced some of the greatest Chardonnays in California history - the only reason she turned to Pinot Noir was because she couldn't sell her Chardonnays back in the 1980s. The whites she did at Matanzas Creek back in the early 80s are still SO vivid in my mind -
My Apple photo memories feature popped up this morning. On this day in 2013 I was up at Mount Eden vineyards tasting the legendary 1974 cabernet with Jeffrey Patterson. A little bit of trivia: He didn't make that wine. Merry Edwards did. Nice track record all the way back to the early 70's!

-Joe
J. V a $ i l i o u

Chris S p i k e s

#20 Post by Chris S p i k e s » February 23rd, 2019, 1:37 pm

Good luck to her and I hope she did very well in the transaction! Despite her being a well known winemaker, I don't think she has been as widely recognized as she deserves. I doubt she cares much, though.

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Carlton McCrindle » February 23rd, 2019, 1:40 pm

Bdklein wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 3:39 pm
Interesting to me that her children did not want to get involved in the family business.
Interesting but not unusual with closely held family businesses these days, especially where long hours, physical labor and personal interaction with the public by the family members are significant components in its operation.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Glas » February 23rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

Always liked their Pinots. I can't imagine a huge change in style but we shall see. We will know if they double production amounts.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 23rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

T. Williams wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 2:48 am
I hope they keep the wines the same. The SB is one of my go to summer whites. I can't say that I have much experience with the pinot, but it has always been something I've thought about. But the SB, dare I say, the best American SB year over year.
I introduced the SB to my wife and her tennis friends quite a few years back, and that's my single claim to wine fame among them. Otherwise, they think my palate sucks. The SB is a house go-to wine for us when I want a buttery California Chardonnay to pair with stone crabs or lobster and butter. The pairing is magnificent. And it's better than a buttery Chard but does have some similar charateristics without being too OTT. The wine is normally to sweet for me with other pairings or alone. We have it in the line-up tonight, though.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Brad Baker

#24 Post by Brad Baker » February 23rd, 2019, 5:33 pm

Roederer has done very well with the other properties they have acquired and I think the quality has gone up and the direction more focused (when needed) at each property. In terms of pricing, I don't think it has really changed at each property much when compared to similar wineries in terms of region and quality. I view the sale/purchase a good thing and best case scenario especially with no family alternative for Merry Edwards.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

YLee

#25 Post by YLee » February 23rd, 2019, 5:36 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 2:56 pm
T. Williams wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 2:48 am
I introduced the SB to my wife and her tennis friends quite a few years back, and that's my single claim to wine fame among them. Otherwise, they think my palate sucks. The SB is a house go-to wine for us when I want a buttery California Chardonnay to pair with stone crabs or lobster and butter. The pairing is magnificent. And it's better than a buttery Chard but does have some similar charateristics without being too OTT. The wine is normally to sweet for me with other pairings or alone. We have it in the line-up tonight, though.
Which vintage will you be opening tonight? How was it?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Return to “Wine Talk”