TN: 2008 Dom Perignon

So after soliciting all that advice, I decided to pop one of my 08 dom.

This is young but shows immense potential. Lemon zest, perfectly toasted brioche, and kaffir lime on the nose. Rich palate that’s in perfect balance. Incredibly long finish. Coming into sharper focus and it’s clear that this will be an all time great dom. 3-5 years will be very helpful.

Not to steal your topic, but try the '08 Veuve Grande Dame !

Will you post a tasting note here? Or in cellartracker…either would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

I’m not Ned, but I found the whole '08 Veuve lineup to be phenomenal. The '08 Grande Dame Rose in particular is one of the finest young Rose Champagnes I can recall. The new labels, however, are hideous.

seems like price is settling in around $170 with occasional lower pricing. Still Costco-waiting . . .

Me too. There is just too much produced to sustain that price forever.

wholesale is going up next month. lol.

Houston Greenway Costco had about a dozen 08s mixed in with all of the 09s and priced as 09s - $144/btl. The 08s weren’t in the display but were all in boxes under the shelves. I grabbed some.

Yes, in NY.

Additionally, unlike previous vintages when you could place an order for virtually any quantity and have it fulfilled within a couple of days, the '08 is being released in various tranches every few weeks. I’ve received two deliveries but still waiting for the third to make me whole.

Unless there is a significant economic situation, the days of DP at $120 are long gone.

Release pricing in the UK was $130. Not thatvthere was a lot of it.

I don’t know why LVMH are fucking around with this release.

I’ve gotten quite a bit of this and mostly paid <160. Still going to keep loading up as I find it.

That was a teaser release. Not a lot is an understatement.

Say what you want about LVMH, but they aren’t the worst marketers.

If LVMH don’t start taking the profit, distributors will…there is about $10 to $20 a bottle in arbitrage between wholesale and where retail should fall.

As long as Costco gets it, they’ll always be best retail since your Costco card is a contract with them that has a margin cap.

Maybe. It was easily available at $140. I was offered 20 cases last week.

$140 isn’t $130 :slight_smile:

They’ve finally figured out that they need to keep pricing in Europe at a certain level so that individual US consumers can’t import it for any significant discount.

And 140 isn’t 170!

I bought half of mine at 130 and half at 140.

It’s available in airport duty free at 150 by the bottle on their warm shelves.

I’m not the one quoting $170. I said $120 is long gone.

Also, you are comparing European pricing to US pricing. Current NY wholesale is $137 and it will increase shortly.

All true!

Enjoy your supply.

You too!

I hope I’m around long enough to finish it when its mature.