TN: 2003 Château Lafite Rothschild

In Salt Lake City for business, freezing my butt off, red-eye flight home tonight. Figured a little spoiling was in order, so popped the Lafite with a couple of business partners last night at our favorite haunt here, Eva’s. I’m embarrassed to say that we brought the 2014 Phelps Insignia as well. I will refrain from further comment on that wine.

The Lafite, well, is Lafite. Perhaps the only Bordeaux that can still marginally pull off elegance in a vintage like 2003. Don’t get me wrong, this is a very forward, Cabernet ripe wine, arguably in prime drinking window, which was a comment that I made two years ago when I had this wine. In all its ripeness, however, it still retains a degree of artistocracy that Lafite typically shows: restraint, harmony, balance. The range of black fruits and dark berries marry well with the tighter red fruits. Tobacco, leather, pencil on the nose. Silky finish with integrated tannins. All together a really excellent wine. I do not, however, think this is on par with the heights that Lafite can hit in more classic years. The 2000 that I had a couple years ago was an entire notch above this wine.

(94 pts.)

Nice note, although it doesn’t sound like it’s quite in your wheelhouse.

Insignia is a nice wine, but it needs time.

For my technologically challenged friend…
FF072AD9-D24C-40BC-BC3E-5E6E5EA30FBB.jpeg

I have had the 2003 Lafite next to the '03 Leoville Poyferre, Leoville Las Cases and Pavie. Poyferre by a mile, followed by Pavie, Las Cases and Lafite.

I think that the Lafite needs a couple more decades to shine. Pavie is close to being ready, and the Las Cases just wasn’t very interesting.

Too bad you don’t like the Insignia.

I tasted at Phelps in the summer and frankly forgot that they make some very nice wines. I’m not sure the QPR is there for me, but they have a talented winemaker. Insignia needs AT LEAST a decade to shine, and preferably more time.

A bit OT, but for my money, they have the nicest tasting facilities in Napa – classy, luxurious, and comfortable.

Stylistically some of these wines, like Pavie and Leoville Poyferre, are far off what I want in Bordeaux, but totally get their appeal. My business partner that joined me, brought the Insignia, and he thinks Pavie is King of Bordeaux. Naturally he preferred the Insignia over the Lafite. I have had the 2003 LP and Pavie multiple times over the years, and personally think both are ready, if you like that more modern, glossy style.

He’s not wrong.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Cleary, you haven’t taste at EMH.

The veranda/patio and accompanying view at Phelps is pretty magic.

Robert,

Thanks, as always, for sharing your notes on fine Bordeaux.

All the best,
Alex R.

Drinking well, even factoring in the Insignia!

Just noticed your kick azz avatar!..
well played…regarding your post, good to see Poyferre show well…Alfert and I had it last year and thought it was a disaster (completely disjointed)…the '03 Lafite on the other hand was gorgeous… a wine of pure finesse…quiet, delicate power in a hot year ‘mind blown’