Biggio Hamina notes

There really is not much to say as sometimes the wines speak far more more eloquently for themselves.
I’ve now tried '16 Claygate, '15 Holmas Gap (twice), and '08 XIV Syrah.

There is a theme to these wines: enticing subtle aromas, harmonious textures, structured but gentle, exotic but never in your face. And need I say perfect with food!

Last night some of us tried Holmes Gap against '12 Kutch McDougall. Opinions were evenly divided between which was the favorite. For me the Kutch was more overt but the acids were not integrated. The B-H by comparison was lithe, elegant, perfectly balanced, and to me the clear winner. [cheers.gif]

Now I just need some better PN glasses from Chris!

Glad you are enjoying your Berserker Day wines Peter. My wines really are never going to win a blind tasting, or serve well as cocktail styled offerings. But, if you married a chef like I did…

I’m a fan, too. [cheers.gif]

Not true. B-H outclasses more “prestigious” wines wines at my house every time I open one (blind and not).

Finishing the XIV right now and it is delicious without food. Why can’t more syrah be like this?

Thanks Nick.

Same here. And Peter - he’s not making any more Syrah. Too bad, it was really great stuff.

I started buying OR Syrah when looking for some less jammy than the WA versions. B-H was the first and probably take the longest to come around, ten years and they start to show really well. Some of his older PN are really growing on me which is an advantage of buying inventory reductions, they are aged well and affordably priced. [wow.gif]
I’m really interested in the Sangio.

There are a handful of cases left of the XIV, but I will wait until I have shipped all the Bday orders before putting out an offer. The 07 and the XVII are sold out.

Why did you stop making Syrah?

Karl, there are a few reasons why. Foremost was that as a brand new winery most distributors didn’t even want to see samples of Syrah. I made the 07 and it only appealed to folks who were familiar with the Northern Rhone. New World drinkers didn’t understand it. The next two vintages were named after the percentage of Viognier. A blend was easy for people to wrap their heads around, but I am still making a wine that has more in common with Crozes-Hermitage than anything else. Plus these wines are 100% whole cluster and aged in Oregon oak rather than French oak. The whole exercise was fun, but from a business stand point… I aged the 2009 XVII in barrel for almost five years because I just loved how it was evolving. So, I made a wine which did a fine job reminding people of where Syrah comes from that takes awhile to come around.

Then Marcus got the fruit, in 08 I slid him some and in 09 he returned the favor. I am not sure how long he made Syrah for, but Brianne Day gets the fruit now.

I have 4 cases of the 2008 XIV Syrah available at $250 including shipping. And then no mas. Finito. Gone. Thanks!

Yo, 1 cs here if you please. If you can hang onto it a bit longer you can skip shipping.

John

Ok John. Done.

Had two bottles of this Syrah and loved both. Great aromatics with a seamless palate. What’s not to like?
Glad I too got to snag another case at this ridiculous price.

Can I get a case as well. You should have my information from the Beserker purchase

All good. Thanks.

Save some. We are coming in May and would like to try some.

A smidge, that’s it Brian.

Opened another 2015 Holmes last night. Popped 3 hrs before drinking. Decanted into a pitcher for 15 mins, back in bottle, then back in pitcher for 15 mins, and back in bottle that was left open until an hour before pouring.
As we drank it, all too fast with some great sushi, what became clear was how amazingly civilized this wine was. Great aromas of spices, forest floor, wild strawberries and red currants. A perfect and seamless palate with nice length. Nothing stood out in this harmonious wine. Simply a joy to drink.