TN: 2011 Moccagatta Barbaresco Bric Balin (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

• 2011 Moccagatta Barbaresco Bric Balin - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (2/17/2019)
    What a beautiful graceful and elightful wine. It didn’t start out like that! Almost went down the drain.

Open this at 12:30 and first pour I get no no whatsoever. The palate was bretty and funky. What I did notice that lying deep beneath the mess what the semblance of some fresh fruits. So I pour more and went about my business already deciding that when I return It will probably go rotor-rooter. Boy was I wrong. This seemed to be shedding the funk and gaining some complexity and elegance. Let me see where this goes. It went alright.
Within an hour this was just pure beauty; soft and fresh and ‘nowhere near ripe’ (read:awesome) red raspberries with a touch of lilacs. Mouthfeel was near weightless and balance amazing. With air, (hour 3) this is showing some soft orange-rin, cranberries and a super-slight note of C.Howards (eucalyptus) candies, something I normally expect from the finest of California Pinot Noirs. The red fruit line goes the full lenght on this and never lets up; finish lasts for many minutes. What it never really picked-up was anything resembling a nose, but that’s ok, when you drink like this drinks you are just happy to have it in your glass.

This could quite possibly turn out to be one of the most beautiful and elegant Barbarescos I have ever experienced. Extra points for recovery. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the 2013 tonight. Absolutely lovely and no hard edges.