TN: 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello

I’m very much aware of the rule of 15 but I was craving for a proper Nebbiolo and did not have anything older at hand. No worries though, this one is drinking extremely well already, especially after a couple of hours in the decanter.

• 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (16.2.2019)
    Decanted two hours before dinner, enjoyed over an hour or so. For sure there’s no tertiary development yet here to be found but the 2005 vintage in Barbaresco seems to be a pretty loose-knit one and as such offers great typicity in a very approachable way. All cherry, roses and tar on the nose - lacks nuance but is detailed and classic. Fairly rich yet well proportioned and savory on the palate. Very bright and expressive, the palate definitely delivers. Beautifully red-fruited with solid acidity and pleasantly grippy tannins - precisely what one would hope for. Silky without being soft, finishes very clean. A screaming value at 29 €.

Posted from CellarTracker

13.5 is not that far from 15…:slight_smile:

Thanks for the note.

Well it starts with “just 1.5 years early” but before you know it there is anarchy [snort.gif]

When did the rule of 15 expand from the Rhône to Barbaresco?

By the way, at the Produttori last year, the 2005 Ovello was also singing. Aldo Vacca basically said that you could age it a little more, but why bother.

Reminds me of a an 05 Asili I need to be pulling out of storage, thanks for the great note here!

Kind of disappointed that I can’t find single vineyard Proddutori Barbarescos in Houston.

Just drank this last night with some of the usual suspects/co-travellers to Piedmont (hello David!). Decanted three hours before drinking. Served after a short time in fridge (it’s summer here) to keep it at a decent temperature. I was surprised how tight this showed while revealing also some secondary development; darkest of roses, earthy, savoury and a touch of iron. The fruit is maturing towards dry black cherries. The palate is soil infused and savoury. My assumption is that this could have done with a longer decant. this bottle was not as impressive as the 2005 we had with Aldo in a vertical tasting he gave us and where the 2005 was the best wine from 2004 forward.

Hey Thierry! Hope you’re well.

If I recall correctly, the 2005 (and the 2004, 2007, 2008 & 2009) that Aldo Vacca showed us had been opened the prior day, and re-corked after a splash of gas. Long decant therefore recommended!