Heck with it- TN- 2016 Meo Camuzet Echezeaux, 2016 Charvin CdP, 2016 Pernot Puligny Montrachet Folatieres

Fantastic lunch yesterday at Chez Nous in downtown Austin on a much needed one day break from work. Never got any responses on this BB from anyone who has opened a 2016 Meo- probably because you agree with my lunch companion that it is a foolish exercise. And in a sense that was true, but it has been a few years since I checked in on this wine, and oddly enough in this of all vintages I got a few extras- and so heck with it, we went there! It was a lovely experience and worthwhile, if admittedly a bit wasteful of the great potential here.

2016 Paul Pernot Puligny-Montrachet Clos des Folatieres

good bright medium yellow color, inviting nose of apples and pears with some tropical hints, sweet oranges, a strong presence of soft rounded stones, on the palate quite viscous with ripe fruits, baked bread notes and firm white acids leading into a long and slightly tart finish, an attractive and somewhat lusty Puligny that- for the moment- appears to have traded some of its usual finesse for a bit more heft than expected, a good wine- possibly very good with some bottle age. *(**)+, 2022+

2016 Meo-Camuzet Echezeaux

deep purple color, enchanting primary nose of plums and cherries laid over an evident but not yet fully exposed intense web of dark spices, the intensity of the fruit is such that even the oak is largely concealed, on the palate again very primary- completely approachable and delicious, yet with so very much more yet to come, as on the nose all of these nuances are evident but still buried just beneath the surface of a tranquil pond of cuddly ripe fruit, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, the full spectrum if tending more to black fruits, glorious intense spice notes carry into the finish and after-fragrance, this strikes me as a combination of the best of 2001 and 2006- it already demonstrates a precise and detailed definition of elements, and yet those elements are all concealed under a truly beautiful and almost full-bodied fruit that has some of the punchy joy of 2006- but is more ponderous in overall tone, length to burn, after 2 hours in glass a broad earthy note develops with a piercing wild cherry flavor right in the middle, a dazzling Echezeaux that should blossom into something truly memorable in time, as good as it gets. (*****), 2028+

2016 Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape

Note- we unfortunately had a very short time with this after lingering over the 2016 Meo Echezeaux, but it was enough to make me a fan. Also note my Rhone experience is limited, and thus my TN vocabulary at present.

deep red color, pure cherry on the nose at first, toasty oak, cloves, dark plums, on the palate very vibrant, ripe cherries, saddle leather, dark thorn tones, with time in glass plum notes developed along with a wider array of dark spices, this is in some sense what I would call a “mid-weight beauty” but yet it also has some strong sauvage notes that indicate with time this will have a certain edginess as well, firm long finish, a wonderful wine and one I can envision truly enjoying as a harmonious companion to dinner in the years to come. ()+, 2026+ though I think the wine can be quite enjoyable before then as it is now.

All in all a great day. And FWIW- I did buy some Charvin after that lunch. I very rarely buy Rhone wines anymore given how spoofy many of them got. I am told that is changing, hence adding back a few favorites in 2016- and now Charvin as well. I have no idea if Charvin ever went down the dark path, but what I had in my glass yesterday was just the kind of wine I want most in the cellar.

Nice notes as always, even though Burgs are not where I live.

Charvin is one of the few CduP I never gave up on.

Charvin is amongst the only CdP’s I still buy as well. However, it wasn’t toasty oak you were tasting. Charvin is vinified in cement vats then aged in cement tanks. Amazingly, you can still find current releases for the same price I paid on release for the '00 and '01 vintages.

Cheers,
Warren

Still love Charvin.

Thanks for the Meo note. I was offered (and took) one bottle, so it’s good to get a preview.

Thanks everyone.

Warren- thank you for the insight. I rarely drink Rhone, so clearly I misread what I thought was oak. Any notion what might have been? I know you were not there for this tasting, but is there something about this wine that resembles oak?

I will drop that bit from my CT TN lest I look a fool for all eternity, but would still hope to sort out what I was describing.

Your comments on 06 are interesting; I’ve found it pretty hard and unyielding unlike 01, but it could be the producers I’ve visited so far (angerville, Lafarge, gouges)

Did you have them at release or more recently? I tasted through a huge selection of 2006s at release at all levels and they had a very rich and what I call “punchy” fruit- meaning a sort of fruit punch tone, though intended as compliment. I have not had many since, but they definitely firmed up in bottle more than I had expected, and I am just now again tempted to try a few of them like Jadot Ursules or Boillot Nuits Pruliers, but still wondering if I should wait a bit longer. And, as you say, 2001 has been far more friendly all along.

Anyhow- I was referring to the scale, ease and tone of the fruit of the 2006s at release in my comparison, if that helps.

More recently; I had the angerville last Jan and a Lafarge in the last few months and they weren’t pleasurable.

Thank you. If neither of those are showing anything right now, then maybe best I leave my Jadot and Boillot alone a bit longer.

I was very happy with young 2015 Meo. Happy to be getting some 2016 as well!!

1 Like

Tom,
I’m no expert, and there’s no shame in finding oak flavors in unoaked wine (or in wines aged in old neutral barrels). That happens all of the time. Some grapes (or stems) yield flavors and aromas that are often attributed to oak.
Warren

Very true Warren- just caught me off guard I guess. With all the experience I have in some regions- it can be pretty daunting to try something from a grape I do not often drink and feel a bit of a newbie again. But either way, that Charvin was great and glad to have finally crossed paths with their wines.

2006 is a somewhat annoying Burgundy vintage. On release, some were friendlier than the 2005s. Not long after they all clamped down hard. In the last year or so I have tried 2006s from Bachelet (village & 1er cur), Hudelot-Noellat (1er cru), Mugneret-Gibourg (1er & grand cru) and Jadot (1er cru) with nary a smile to be had. The wines were all still closed down. When or if they emerge is anyone’s guess, though I suspect they will eventually show some pleasure, but always in a stern sot of way.

That’s basically my experience as well. I’m still waiting for one that’s drinking well. In comparison many 05s have been great, although not the 05 jadot dominode.

Did they at least seem balanced? (asking both of you and anyone else.)

I found 2006 so forward at release that we actually tasted a ton of them here. It was the only time in history that I have ever opened every DRC wine at release, plus we did the Grivot range and a bunch of other things I would not normally open. I thought more of them at the time than many, but still after 12 years I would have expected the premier crus to be starting to unfurl.

Now you all are making me very curious. I may have to open a Jadot Ursules soon- that should not be too big a sacrifice.

In general they did not. The Bachelet and Hudelot wines were overtly tannic. Jadot was just sullen. The M-G wines were friendlier, but that’s M-G. Not up to par though.