Gianfranco Soldera has passed

Divisive person, divisive wines… But the evening some friends and I opened '96, '04, '06 of the Soldera Brunello was an evening to remember - those wines were thrilling.

He was a trailblazer, no doubt about that. So sad to see another legend pass in such a short period of time.

Such a loss. Love his wines and one of my splurges. Met him and his daughter Monica at a tasting in NYC sponsored by Manhattan Wine Co in late 2017. We got to taste 4 vintages ( if I can find my notes, I’ll add later).

Thank you for sharing the news. It is very sad to hear. As both a fan of his wines and an avid horticulturist, I have long dreamed of visiting the estate someday. Just a few months ago, I finally met someone who can make that happen- and it is with great regret that even if I make the journey, I will never have the chance to meet the man who created it all.

In the late 90s, when I was working retail ITB during college and graduate school, everyone knew who Soldera was but we had never seen the wines. He had the reputation of a genius who very carefully selected who was allowed to buy his wines at all. And we knew they were expensive. That is about it.

And then, I think in 1997, chance favored our store and we received 2 bottles of the 1991 Riserva. At the time, the market had just about sold through 1990 first growths for $100-175, and 92-94 were out there at $100ish and under. DRC La Tache was still under $250 a bottle. Giacosa Riserva 1990s were $95 for the Barolo Serralunga, and a bit less for the rest.

Amid all this- boom- 2 bottles of a Brunello from a weak vintage that retailed for $209.95 each. And not even a pretty box- then, as now, they came in foam and cardboard shippers with all info on a plain white sticker attached to the box.

The bottles were beautiful though- dragons and all. It was one of the most expensive wines on the market at the time, and the bottles themselves really looked the part. As with all very rare wines at the time, I had to wait a certain period of time before scooping anything up for myself to let the regulars have first shot. And so these never came home with me. And a shame since in time Solderas 1991 Riserva would prove to be a far greater wine than those of most of his peers made in far better vintages of that time.

RIP sir.

Il re del sangiovese has left us - thanks for everything you gave us. RIP

“It’s not a coincidence that the three best wines in the world – Brunello, Barolo and Burgundy – are all made from a single grape,” says this opinionated winemaker.

RIP and thank you for some of the best Sangiovese encounters I’ve had the pleasure of tasting.

Bought his 1998 for $149.99 off WTSO in 2011. Almost balked based on the vintage and because it was more than I was comfortable spending at the time. Still one of the best half dozen wines I’ve ever had, and a tragedy I didn’t buy more. True testament to “Buy the winemaker, not the vintage.”

RIP. He brought many truly great wines into the world.