Most consistent non first growth boardeax?

Not including Sociando, which Bordeaux producers have the most consistent flavor profile 1982-2017. Any other than Sociando have the same wine maker? If it has had a new consulting team in last 10 years please rule out! Again, please no first or second growths. Please explain why you picked them! Thank you.

I’m not sure what sort of wine you’re after - I would have said Gruaud, which to me always tastes like Gruaud, but you don’t want any seconds. So I’ll put my head over the parapet and say Boyd Cantenac, Haut-Bages Libéral and Lagrange. Their style may have changed a little and of course they don’t taste precisely the same from one vintage to the next, but I think the basic taste is constant. I picked them because I’ve tried most vintages since 1982 and find them to be very consistent.

If you’re looking for something a little less mainstream, then Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre would be a good example - same owner, same style, same taste.

Thanks Julian. “What i am trying to assertain is…?. if i am buying a bordeaux today, which ones are most likely to age and develope consistent with their past profile?” Clearly Sociando does that (same winemaker, same philosophy, etc). I agree w some of your picks below. Thank you.

Leoville Las Cases

Lynch Bages and Pichon Baron for me.

I would add Montrose as well.

Agreed. Also have a soft spot for Palmer.

Clos les Lunelles. All-oak last year, all oak this year, all oak next year. The most dependable, consistent label in wine!

Magdelaine (through 2011, the final vintage) and Montrose. Maybe Pichon Lalande? I have not had many vintages post-2000 of that one.

Almost every other one I can think of has evolved in some key way, and in some cases gone back and forth a time or two during that period.

I am answering this question within the literal confines of addressing whether I think there have been any fundamental changes at all that are evident in glass, so to speak, without regard to whether those changes are for the better or not. Palmer is a good example of where I think the result in the glass has changed back and forth during this time period, seldom for ill and lately for good- but changed all the same.

Leoville Barton

:laughing:
Tell us how you really feel about Clos des Lunelles Neal! :nauseated_face:

One of the few wines where I worried about getting splinters in my throat.

I kind of like the Marquis d’Aligre concept = very tradtional, same winemaker, high quality, little if no new consulting meddling. Montrose seems very akin as well!

Branaire Ducru.

Agree with the two Léovilles and Montrose already mentioned.

I suspect most or all properties have had changes in winemakers or consultants over the 35 year period specified in the OP. But those changes can be made with an eye to maintaining the traditional style.

Montrose
Leoville Barton
Magdelaine
Marquis d’Aligre

Classic never goes out of style

There’s certainly not many though.

Figeac and Conseillante recently flipping was a huge surprise to me.

Easy answer for me.

Lynch Bages

But the o.p. did disqualify second growths. I am not sure about consistency in winemaking. Not among Forster or second growth (or classs for St Em.). I find Palmer , Lynch Bages pretty consistent and while more modern Peby Faugères and La Dominique are consistent buys for me.

Pontet Canet. Speaks of Pauillac and vintage each year, especially the run since 1996.