TN: 2016 Idlewild The Bird Red (USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County)

2016 Idlewild The Bird Red - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (2/15/2019)
What to have when having pizza. Fresh red fruit, bright acidity, grippy tannins that are calmed by the cheese and pepperoni, The Bird is year after year the perfect wine for pizza. A couple of years in bottle, and it settles in, making me feel like a piece of California has been transplanted in Piemonte.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note David. As I’m sure you know the Idlewild Spring Release was earlier this week. I stopped at the Tasting Room and was lucky to taste all the new releases which were recently bottled. We are off to a show now but will post notes on all the new release wines tomorrow. Plus a photo showing the cool new labels.

Tom
PS: The new release Idlewild Bird (2018) is off the charts good!

Thanks, Tom. Back up the truck good??
Tom

Tom D,

If you get the chance I would be curious about the blend specifics for the last few vintages of Bird. Seems like 2015 was deeper/richer, implying more Barbera than in 2016 and especially 2017.

Hi David, the information of the blends below I found on the Idlewild Website.

35% Dolcetto
35% Barbera
30% Nebbiolo

39% Barbera
28.5% Nebbiolo
26% Dolcetto
4.0% Grignalino
2.5% Freisa

60% Dolcetto
35% Barbera
5% Nebbiolo

For me, the 2016 is more acid driven fruit and other notes The 2017 is more structured with additional tannins. To be honest I don’t remember the 2015 other than liking it. Can’t find my notes :slight_smile:.

Tom

Totally explains my reaction to the 2017, as being leaner, and more structured.

The 2015 is still my favorite.

That is what I love about this crazy hobby. Really like both the 16 and 17 but prefer the depth of the 17.

Whats that old saying “one mans ceiling is another mans floor” :slight_smile:

Tom

PS: The 18 will likely change both our minds [cheers.gif]