TN: 2010 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino

• 2010 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2/14/2019)
    Decanted then followed for 4 hours. Very nice, earthy, mushrooms, back of the mouth spice, not tannic. Smooth. No real biting Sangiovese acidity. Got better the more air it got. My guess is that this has another decade or more in it at least. Not a fruit driven wine. Excellent balance.

This is the first I opened of a couple cases of 2010 Brunello I bought when everyone went gaga over the vintage. Seemed like a good thing to drink with home made chicken parm on Valentines Day. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note,glad that have some
In the cellar.I had the 2013 a couple of weeks ago, it showed well too.

Thanks, Jay and Michael.
We recently opened the 2012 Lisini as part of a brunello tasting. Too young, but not really shut down. Glad I have more… to open 5-10 years from now. I’d imagine the 2010 and 2013 versions are even better.
I’d recommend Lisini to folks who don’t want to spend more than $40-50 per bottle; good typicity and MUCH better than almost any brunello that you see on sale for $30.
Regards,
Peter

I got the 2010 three years ago for $48 per bottle. Unfortunately, the current ticket for the 2010 is in the range of $75+. The current vintages are $50 plus or minus, I would be surprised to see a $30 Brunello this good.

Lisini Brunello is a consistently excellent wine and great value for the dollar. Very traditional, balanced, ageworthy, yet with all the pleasures of the beautiful fruit from that region.

Yet another counterpoint to the “Brunello is all overpriced and anonymous in style and you should just buy Chianti instead” zeitgeist around Wine Berserkers.

I agree. That quote is ridiculous. They are so different that it was only until recently through DNA testing that it was confirmed that Sangiovese and Sangiovese Grosso were the same grape.

Jay - I wasn’t clear. I was trying to articulate that Lisini at under $50 is well worth the premium over anything one can find for $30. I.e. $15 doubles the pleasure! Seems like you may agree. Not surprised that price for a top vintage with good ratings increases over time.
Peter

Just a related note to say I opened an ‘08 Lisini Brunello tonight and found it quite lovely. Nice producer.

We do not disagree. I guess I was focusing on the word “almost.” If I found any $30 Brunello that was this good, it would be back up the truck time and I would make it a “house” red.

I am, however, getting this terrible reputation of liking European wines. Bumped into a fellow wineaux on the street last night and he said that I seemed to be preferring European wines these days, so I must publicly proclaim my undying love for Saxum and anything made by Mike Smith or Thomas Brown.