Cellartracker for newbies

Thought you all would find this entertaining. This is from a podcast called Reply All, and the subject of this particular episode is actually about how apps use and sell your personal data. The full link is below but I’ve copied the transcript of the relevant section for your entertainment. What they’re doing here is reviewing the apps one person has on their phone to see what might cause vulnerability. TO BE VERY CLEAR: CellarTracker isn’t implicated as doing anything wrong, they just have some fun with the name as they’re not familiar.

DAMIANO: And then looked at me and realized that she needed my fingerprint to get into my phone (ALL: laughs) and then was upset and had to ask my permission to use my phone.

PHIA: That- that’s true. So, Damiano has wonderful apps on his phone.

PJ: What do you mean wonderful apps?

DAMIANO: Oh my God, this is gonna really suck.

PHIA: (laughs) He has- I just–you learn a lot about a person from what apps they have.

PJ: Yes.

DAMIANO: (grumble) I don’t like this–

PJ: God, this is a very vulnerable moment.

DAMIANO: I don’t like this–

PJ: I feel for you–

PHIA: OK, it is very vulnerable. So Damiano has apps like Cellar Tracker?

ALEX: What is that?

PJ: What’s Cellar Tracker?

DAMIANO: (mumbles) This is so horrible.

ALEX: Cellars’ don’t move. Why do they need to be tracked?

PJ: Like wine cellar? What is it? What is Cellar Tracker? Basement Finder was too expensive?

DAMIANO: It’s like a wine researching app.

PJ: It’s okay to drink wine.

PHIA: And Delectable Scan and Rate Wine.

DAMIANO: Oh my God.

PJ: Oh my God, you’re a wine snob! (laughs)

DAMIANO: Aggghhhhhhhhhh! I hate this!

PJ: Tannin detector (laughs).

PHIA: Nobody will be surprised that he has Italian translator offline.

PJ: That’s fine.

ALEX: Mhm. OK.

PHIA: Um, Ab and Core Workout.

ALEX: That’s not bad.

PJ: You look great.

ALEX: Yeah.

PJ: (laughs)

PHIA: (laughs) Um, and then–

PJ: Just drinking wine, doing sit-ups.

DAMIANO: God, I didn’t, I didn’t actually think–

PJ: Saying things in Italian.

DAMIANO: I didn’t pick–

ALEX: Hey, could you pass me that red. I need to do a wall sit real quick.

They sound like Milennials being interviewed. [wow.gif]

And they’ve ruined interviews

Millennials are dead at retail

If you haven’t listened to this podcast, I recommend it. It’s explanations of how tech impacts people’s daily lives. I’m not a fan of the joking asides among the hosts, but the information in their stories is startling. Their deep dive into Foxcomm in Wisconsin is a serious bit of journalism, as is “The Crime Machine,” their excavation of how New York City cops started using data to fight crimes.

Yeah the show is, across the board, pretty incredible. Linked below are a few of my favorites:

Snapchat Thief: Fascinating story about cyber security. Short version: You’re screwed.

Is Facebook Spying on You: Where they attempt to answer the very common question of “I said I wanted a 2014 PCYM C-M and then the next day I saw an ad for it on FB”:

More on Cybersecurity:

Love the show. But I’m a millennial.

If you listen very carefully, you can hear my name in the credits of this episode. #78 Very Quickly to the Drill | Reply All