Ridge Monte Bello. Putting it back on the shelf.

I just received notification that my first order will be processed next month and I am having reservations about this purchase. I overspent during Berserkers days and have little space. More importantly tho is the idea that these won’t be ready for true enjoyment for at least a decade. When I signed up for futures a few years ago, that didn’t seem such a big deal. After dealing with a prostate cancer diagnosis, I am less inclined to buy for laying down. Am only in for a four pack of 375s but not sure if I should bother. Having not really been moved by any Ridge wines that I have tasted, seems to make it easy. Are these at all approachable early?

I’ve had many Monte Bello vintages upon release at their tasting room. They have all been enjoyable. These wines will absolutely evolve and develop tertiary characteristics and become more nuanced, but they are still fine wines when they are young.

I would take it off your hands if it were 750mLs

I for one enjoy MB young (albeit primarily when others are buying/opening; I like to save mine). The '11 was particularly gorgeous in its youth, especially in the context of the vintage.

Robert - so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Robert,
Sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully, you’ll deal with it for decades.
I’d suggest opening one and seeing if you like if. If not, you can cancel your future purchases, and it would be easy to sell or trade those you already ordered here.
Wishing you a quick return to health,
Warren

Thanx, things are going good and prognosis is great. It has changed my attitude about living in the now vs future planning though. Nothing is a given but once you hear that word, the present is more in focus and the future becomes less clear. Maybe after awhile that may change. Meanwhile I will take the 4 and see how it goes.
I also ordered a half case of Malescot-St Expery futures about the same time.

MB futures are easy to sell on arrival due to the futures discount

Robert, I was relieved to see your prognosis is good.
Confronting your mortality via unexpected illness is incredibly powerful and shakes you to your core; those who have not experienced it cannot understand and empathize. I know from two genetically inspired heart attacks, one month apart while in my 40’s. My shock and awe dissipated, but lingers even though I have been healthy and am in very good shape for 70. I no longer buy new wines for too far down the road for the more natural and obvious reason.
I do not know your age, but encourage you to stay very positive and display that attitude in your wine buying as another reason to keep on keeping on(I gotta drink my 2005 Musignys, including the mags and 2005 LALAs when mature!).
Best wishes.

I would still at least do the 375s, at least for a vintage or two and open one to see what you think when you receive them. if you like it, keep going, if not, as others have mentioned it should be fairly easy to find buyers for them and unload what you’ve bought.

Also sorry to hear about the health concerns, but always glad to see someone get a good prognosis. I always think living the life we have now is just as important as having hope that you’ll be healthy enough to stay around long enough to hold onto a few things!

I strongly advise taking advantage of the futures tasting events.

They tend to show really well on release. Then shut down. Then gradually start opening up again. Then continuing to improve.

I know that there are different kinds of prostrate cancer, but my father was told that he would “die with, not of,” his. And it turned out to be the case; diagnosed in his 80s and died well into his 90s.

I’m 62 and dropped off the Monte Bello list this year for the reason you cite; it is going to take a long time for the ones I already own to be ready to drink.

This. I live nearby the Santa Cruz vineyard and have passed on tasting invitations. I should get my lazy butt up there and give em a go.

You should. It is a great visit and you get to see some really old vines.

Sorry to read about your heath issues. Hope that you do well.

Been buying MB futures since the 1998 offer. Starting with 2001, anticipating a very good year, raised the quantity a bunch. Have tried a lot of young MB over the years. Perception can be tricky but my feeling is that they drink better than ever young. Started to think that around the 08-09 releases. More recently we have enjoyed some 11s, 12s, 13s over the last few years. Yes they are built for the long haul and I am in lock down mode on my remaining older bottles. Waiting for at least 15 years unless there are a number of bottles left.

Sorry Robert about your health issue. Am getting to the point where I have to be more concerned about that issue as well. And I have started to think differently about my wine purchases. But as far as continuing with MB futures I cut back to 4 750s and plan to stay at that level for several years. May never live to taste a 2018 MB in its aged prime but I am not detoured.

Sorry to hear about your health.

I wanted to echo what others have said. You are local and the ability to get free tickets to their special tastings really makes this a great deal. If you have never had the chance to go to an assemblage event you really should try to get tickets to the next one available (May?). These days they are filling up quick so try and get a request in as soon as they are accepting them.

I’m with Wes on this one. My recommendation would be to make an excuse to open one within six months of arrival. If it is great, motor through the rest of them before the shutdown. If not, sell or hold.

Cheers,
fred

Robert,

Best of luck with your recovery.

As far as futures go, I have been buying them for over 40 years. At age 72, my purchases have slowed, more because I am drinking fewer of the kinds of wines sold as futures than because many will outlive me. Essentially, nobody in my family is interested in wine, certainly not in cellaring wine to maturity. However I do not live in Glamis Castle. When the time comes, some wines in my cellar will pass to friends, others will be sold for the benefit of my family. They know what and where they are.

However living near Santa Cruz, and wanting to live more in the present, you have an abundance of day trips available to stunningly beautiful vineyards producing wines of the highest quality. Ridge is the best known by far, but a tasting of Mount Eden Cabernets going back to the 1973 vintage last year showed that they are at least on the same level. If your taste runs to Pinot Noir and/or Chardonnay, Mount Eden offers equal quality (Ridge’s Chardonnay is an unsung treasure). Rhy is quickly and deservedly developing an equal reputation. There are literally dozens of other good to great growers; Thomas Fogarty in particular has soared in quality.

Please take the time to visit your neighbors.

Dan Kravitz

Thanx for all the good thoughts. Living in San Jose, I spent my first 10-15 years into wine, buying 80% from Santa Cruz mountains and Santa Clara valley. I wanted to support local farmers and vintners. I have visited Rhys many times and Mt Eden a few. I buy Lexington Bordeaux blends from Fogarty. Price is becoming an issue. The average is heading north of $50. My experience with Ridge has been less than optimal. I am indifferent to their Zins and dislike the Chardonnay. I signed up for the Monte Bello futures because of its reputation as a world class Cab, and since I don’t think I will ever get my hands on very many of the other top shelf wine names, I figured I should try the local star. However I find myself wondering if I haven’t enjoyed other Ridge bottlings, would this be different. Also, am I obligated to buy other Estate wines?

Not that I am aware of. You can just buy the MB futures.

I consider teh MB to be in a different league than their other wines.