Burgundy: Vosne

Let’s use these threads as discussions on each Burgundy Village. Discuss the characteristics of the village, the characteristics of specific vineyards, producers, and so on. Or please list the producers for each of the Burgundy villages and share the expertise you have on their styles. Or just use these threads to post tasting notes on specific wines you have drunk from this village and other people can use it as a reference.

Below is a listing of all of the vineyards in Vosne-Romanee.

Grand Cru
Romanee-Conti
La Romanee
La Tache
La Grand Rue
Romanee Saint Vivant
Richebourg

(in Flagey-Echezeaux)
Grand Echezeaux
Echezeaux

1er cru
Au-dessus des Malconsorts
Aux Brulées
Aux Malconsorts
Aux Raignots
Clos des Réas
Cros Parantoux
En Orveaux
La Croix Rameau
Les Beaux Monts
Les Chaumes
Les Gaudichots
Les Petits Monts
Les Rouges
Les Suchots

DRC. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I think you might be better off trying to do the basic legwork on your own. You can’t get all the worlds knowledge while standing on one foot. Perhaps these threads need to be moved to Wine 101. Lots of good references out there, I would start with “making Sense of Burgundy” by Matt Kramer and work your way through to “pearl of the Cote” by Allen Meadows and “Cote D’Or” by Raymond Blake for a newer read. This is a topic that deserves a lot more attention than Wine For Dummies Burgundy Edition…

These are excellent topics and it’s not the first time it has come up. The info in these appellation threads from 2010-11 was probably the main thing that spurred me to really explore Burgundy. I had read critics’ notes for years, but having people sharing why they liked specific producers, wines and regions gave me something much more valuable to work with.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/search.php?keywords=WB+Burgundy+appellation+series&terms=all&author=&fid[]=1&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

What ever happened to Ray Walker, anyway? :slight_smile:

Mugneret-Gibourg

Here is the direct link to the old Vosne thread:

If only I had listened to Don Cornutt and bought all the Liger Belair then!

Arnoux, Mugneret-Gibourg…

All the thread just feel like pumping the board for info versus being part of the conversations.

And yeah, we have a search function here.

I have spent many years exploring Burgundy and basically know who the good producers are, what the good vineyards are, etc. I have done the legwork. I don’t really need the information from others. I just can’t afford the wine that I want. The reason I started these threads is because of the thread on Volnay where similar information on the best producers is discussed. If people are willing to share this information, and want to discuss the differences between producers, why not just organize it rationally. Sure, the people with cash will get free knowledge from people who have done the legwork, but I think we can’t stop that these days. Also, why not consolidate tasting notes in some fashion. If people have a note on a Nuits Damodes wine, or a Morey Blanchards wine, I thought it would make sense to gather them all together so people can read through it and compare a Chambolle Cras with a Chambolle Charmes for instance.

Ummm … agree with David. This does not feel like participation in WB. Your threads do not include any contributions from you – and ignore the wealth of knowledge already shared so graciously on this board by so many and available via Search. And your comment about 'free knowledge" is also odd - perhaps you’d like to subscribe to WB and become a GCC before trying to restructure the place to your personal liking.

Suggest again: combine these threads into a master one.

Granted. Charlie is chugging coche in burgundy so we are down an admin.

I would rather they be combined with the originals. We already had a thread for each appellation. What not just continue to add to those? As someone pointed out in Rich’s Volnay thread, there is a lot of good info there but they’ve been dormant for long enough that some new perspective is needed.

Generations are changing: Arnoux Lachaux, Cheurlin Noellat, Grivot in transition… other producers emerging and of course the classy Mugneret Gibourg and DRC… still here
Trends towards more stems (or not)…

Darius,

Best experiences with Vosne are from:

• Henri Jayer
  • DRC
  • Leroy
  • Comte Liger Belair
  • Sylvain Cathiard
  • Meo Camuzet
  • Emmanuel Rouget
  • Mugneret-Gibourg
  • Jean Grivot

Best vineyards: Romanee-Conti, La Tache, La Romanee, Richebourg.

Good luck!

Thanks Jon,
There is no way I can afford any of those wines, and I am not really looking for any suggestions, since I am pretty much aware of who the best producers are. I was just trying to suggest a way of organizing discussion about each appellation- so people could share thoughts about producers or villages or specific vineyards or we could have the tasting notes in the same place. If people don’t like that suggestion, then these threads can just die.

One thing I find interesting about Vosne is that there seems to be less of a focus on premier crus and it seems like there aren’t that many producers who produce several of them- I can think of Lamarche, Mongeard-Mugneret, and Hudelot-Noellat and the first two don’t seem to be that popular.

Jadot and others. There’s quite a few producers who make suchots and Beaumonts. Meo?

My favorites probably are Mugneret-Gibourg and Hudelot-Noellat.

+1

Mark,
The reason I broke these up into different villages is because I thought there was so much information to share and discuss that it would be easier to do it that way. I think it would be fine to combine everything all together and then have sub-headings to more easily access specific villages, but I don’t know if that is possible or not.

I have long thought that it would be useful to combine discussions on specific wine regions into some organized structure so that tasting notes or discussions on producers could be grouped together, especially for Burgundy. The thread on several producers in Volnay made me think that this sort of thing is happening anyway, so it makes sense to create such a structure. Trying to create a structure is my attempt at a contribution to WB. If this structure doesn’t appeal to you, I suppose you can ask the moderators to not allow it or simply not participate in the threads and ignore them. Or if the moderators feel like it goes against the spirit of WB in some way, they can delete these posts. I won’t file any sort of grievance if they do. Or if there is a process for suggesting such a structure, I am happy to propose it officially in some way and let it be vetted and cleared and improved by the appropriate people.

Are you reading the responses to your own thread? As I posted above (twice, with a link in the first), we already had a set of Burgundy appellation threads for the same purpose, and each one began with a summary of vineyards and producers. In my opinion it would be better to continue posting in those threads, i.e. combine the new responses with the old. You could report your own threads and ask the mods to do that.