Burgundy: Morey

Let’s use these threads as discussions on each Burgundy Village. Discuss the characteristics of the village, the characteristics of specific vineyards, producers, and so on. Or please list the producers for each of the Burgundy villages and share the expertise you have on their styles. Or just use these threads to post tasting notes on specific wines you have drunk from this village and other people can use it as a reference.

Grand Cru
Clos de la Roche
Clos de Tart
Clos Saint-Denis
Clos des Lambrays

• 1,52 ha of Bonnes Mares

1er cru
Aux Charmes
Aux Cheseaux
Clos Baulet
Clos des Ormes
Clos Sorbè
Côte Rotie
La Bussière
La Riotte
Le Village
Les Blanchards
Les Chaffots
Les Charrières
Les Chenevery
Les Faconnières
Les Genavrières
Les Gruenchers
Les Millandes
Les Ruchots
Les Sorbès
Monts Luisants

Dujac
Clos de Tart
Lambray

Again- can we combine? Would be a super helpful master thread.

• 1,52 ha of Bonnes Mares

Ponsot

Thanks Gerhard. I have made the change. I know there is a difference in soils that people reference when they talk about Bonnes Mares. Do you know if this difference overlaps with the different locations in Chambolle and Morey. Do you know if there are any producers whose Bonnes Mares comes only from Morey?

Second Dujac and Ponsot, especially for CdlR. Roumier–if you can wait long enough [grin.gif] Have always liked Taupenot-Merme’s Moreys. Great idea on this Danius.

Hubert Lignier is my go-to producer.

I have always had a soft spot for Morey, since I like Truchot, Dujac, and Hubert Lignier. Now I am sort of following Stephane Magnien, but I haven’t had enough wines to really know how much I like him. One interesting thing about Morey is that it seems to be hard to find distinct Premier Crus. Lignier makes several. Several other producers seem to blend premier cru vineyards here.

Love Truchot as well, though at this point, with no more production, it’s a sad sort of love.

I always wondered what Duband had been doing with Truchot’s wines, since I never saw a Blanchards or a Ruchots. I knew he makes a Clos Sorbe. I recently read that he makes a premier cru called BROC, which includes wines from Blanchards, Ruchots, and two other ones (Ormes for the O I believe). So that was partly solved. I don’t know why he doesn’t bottle them separately.

Fan of Arlaud Les Ruchots

I love the Domaine Dujac MSD and we just had a very nice 2001 Dujac P&F MSD. It showed well in the company of several 1er Cru Burgundies.

I really liked Henri Jouan’s 2006 Clos St. Denis, but Jouan is mostly unavailable in my area.

I have a few bottles of the 2012 Duband Clos Sorbe. The one I drank was fine but not particularly remarkable.

Yeah, the few bottles of Duband wine I have had did little for me.

I thought the bottle of Duband 11 MSD Clos Sorbe I had was quite good.

Jouan (like Paul Pillot in Puligny) sells a lot of wine to Drouhin in barrel, so if you find the Drouhin Clos Saint-Denis or Clos Sorbé, it is likely the Jouan wine. As Jouan uses François Frères “Drouhin toast” for his own wines, they are very similar.

That’s interesting. So any bottles of Drouhin CSD are actually wine made by Jouan? I’m (naively, I guess) a little surprised to hear that major producers are still buying actual barreled wine like this, I had assumed that most negocient situations are at worse grapes brought in from non-domaine vineyards. How does the quality of this CSD compare to the rest of Drouhin’s Domaine wines?

If I am not mistaken, the terres blanches and terres rouges goes through both Morey and Chambolle, and I think that Bruno Clair has only the Morey part of Bonnes Mares.

The border of the (so called) terres rouges (below/east, more clay) and terres blanches (above/west, less clay, more limestone) leads from the South-Eastern corner to the North-Western corner of the vineyard - so most of the Morey-part is terres rouges. All of this belongs to the Clair-family (formerly Clair-Daü) and its relatives, today that´s Domaine Bruno Clair and Domaine Fougeray de Beauclair, as well as the Jadot bottling.

There were/still are an additional 0.27 ha of BM in Morey, but they belong(-ed) to Mommessin and have been incorporated into Clos de Tart.

If people are interested in continuing this sort of discussion, I suggest you go to the appropriate thread found on the link below.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/search.php?keywords=WB+Burgundy+appellation+series&terms=all&author=&fid[]=1&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

On deck tomm, 08 lambrays