Preparation recommendation for 2016 William & Mary Cabernet

Opening a 2016 William & Mary Cabernet for valentines day dinner at Luca in Grand Cayman. What would you recommend as far as preparing this wine to show its best? Would you slow ox in the AM and then decant at the restaurant? or just a decant asap at the restaurant? We’ll be starting with a Kosta Browne so it will have some time to open up.

TIA for your suggestions!

I popped and poured it without a decant and it showed well; if anything I’d decant as soon as you got there.

I decanted it for an hour, but pop and pour (based on the small glass I poured) would work too. I think the fact you’ll be starting with another wine first, I’d just decant at the restaurant.

Bottom line, the wine was special at PNP, and even more so with some air. I cannot wait to see how the wine develops over the next few years.

Email Will and ask him.

I’d recommend as long of a decant as you can, but as others have said already, it’s wonderful at PNP. It just gives a lot more the longer you have it open. Enjoy!

Decant at the restaurant should be fine - I noticed that ~2 hours really bought out the aromatics and elegance in the wine when compared to PnP.

Thank you all for your advice! I have the direction that I need.

I decanted a bottle tonight at 5pm. It was good at 6:30, better at 7:30, and singing by 8:30. So 3.5 hours in the decant and ENJOY…

For me the sweet spot has been between 2 - 2.5 hours. It really starts showing after 2 hours, amazing juice.

Opened at 4pm for a 6pm dinner. Poured about 2oz and put in the fridge. The nose was fantastic and expressive out of the gate. Certainly had the nose of a high end, well made cab. Took a small sip and loved it.

2 hours later we arrived at Luca and decanted immediately. About 45 minutes later we had our first real taste, and it was incredible. There was a nice balance of oak, earth and fruit. Licorice and red fruit were primary. Not a “big” wine, but there was a mouthful of bright and delicious and prominent flavors. We had this over about 90 minutes and it was not shy at any moment. The description of an “oily” mouthfeel that I’ve read is accurate, and I loved it. It was unique. It is a young wine that will benefit from years in the bottle, but is still approachable. I highly recommend this wine and if the label is new to you, don’t hesitate to pop one open now.

[cheers.gif]