TN: 2015 Baudry - Chinon "Le Clos Guillot" (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon)

2015 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Le Clos Guillot - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (1/24/2019)
– opened 15 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind on Day 1 over one hour, and revisited on Day 3 –

NOSE: plummy; garrigué; possibly a hint of brett (otherwise something a bit funky); old wood; surprisingly quite expressive; smells like it’s going to be medium-light bodied; typical Cabernet Franc aromas.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: sour/tart; strong herbal/garrigué aspect; tanned leather; light plum; good acidity; not much in the way of tannins; alc. not noticeable; not big/thick/overblown; very nice. Day 3: red-fruited with a pronounced wet stones note; leather; seems to be a hint of oxidation creeping-in now; good acidity; still quite nice. Excellent QPR. Drink now and over the next 10 years.

50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = (93 pts.)

1 Like

Uh oh. Careful mentioning brett in the wine of a sacrosanct producer. There may be penance asked upon thee once you are tarred and feathered. [stirthepothal.gif]

I concur on the qualitative assessment, this is an excellent wine. I doubled my order after trying it.

Cris, it wouldn’t be my first such flaming; I’m over it.

Grezeaux is even better in 2015. By fsr
IMO

Reeeeeallllly … okay. I’ll have to give one a shot. I liked the '14 Grezeaux, but it was a bit too “modern” for me to want to re-buy; I assume(d) (perhaps incorrectly) that the '15 would be even moreso in that direction.

Doubling down! Bretty AND modern!? [wow.gif]

1 Like

[blush2.gif]

2015 Clos Guillot was an excellent match with corned
beef this St. Patrick’s day. Not as expressive as a bottle of the 2007 vintage drank in January, but the relatively ripe tannins gave it a youthful if primary appeal.

I opened one of these yesterday and took to a small gathering of mostly non wine geeks. I noticed quite a bit of brett on the aromatic, and it was an education moment for a few in there group to explain what the aroma was and why. I left the rest of the bottle with the host, as he really liked it, and I didn’t want to bring Brett into my home and run the risk of community spread with my other bottles.

1 Like

Alfert loves the contagious Brettavirus!

:wink:

Perhaps you are being tongue in cheek and I’m missing it but in case you are not I’ve never heard of such a thing and have no idea how it could be possible.

cheesehead

Nice, you infect a few others but not your loved ones. neener

Do you practice often? Or does being a jackass come naturally?

For my friends it comes very naturally. For you I’d make the extra effort though.

1 Like

You know, thank god for timing. We just had 175 people over 3 weeks ago for Falltacular. i suspect if Falltacular was to occur now, we’d lose people out of concern for the virus.

so…lots of practice.

checking back in …

2015 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Le Clos Guillot - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (2/21/2022)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: cherry; stony; bell pepper; a touch funky (not sure if brett or not); fairly open and expressive.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied; violet-garnet color of medium depth.

TASTE: bell pepper; woodsy – autumnal, if you will; light, thin, plum/cherry mix; screams Cab. Franc. Day 2: I like it a bit more today — seems to be more filled-in, suggesting it may be somewhat closed right now; noticeable juicy cherry note peaks through the archetypal C.F. character. I don’t think I’ll be ageing this wine past its twentieth birthday, but I do see room for further improvement over the next five to ten years. Low-level excellent.

2 Likes

So, not modern?