2016 VHR Release

Who’s in? I am in for my whole allocation. Bump of $25 per bottle

No offer for me, but I may have still gone for it despite the increase.

I’m in, but need to decide how in. The 2015 and our visit with Bruce were at the top of my list for 2018. I definitely want more VHR in the cellar, but must work the calculus of higher pricing, a larger allocation, and a ton of competing offerings out today.

Being available at retail with a 10% mixed six discount and no shipping makes buying off the list a non-starter for me.

I am shifting more that way Bill if I can find the wines at retail for the same or sometimes less. I am a big fan of the the Phillips and the wine so I feel like I want o directly support them but I have dropped of literally dozens of lists as I realized more and more they were available on retail for similar price points!!

I bought my allocation. Tasted with Bruce in November. The 2016 is outstanding. It may not get to retail.

What is current release price?
Very nice wine and great people

$225

I bought my full allocation, four of the 3 packs. Below are my notes from my tasting with Bruce at the VHR farmhouse. In short, I think it is one of the most exciting projects in Napa right now.

The Vine Hill Ranch property features seven distinct blocks and each year the VHR release is a signature expression of the location and vintage. The 2016 Vine Hill Ranch has an incredibly layered nose of red fruits, chocolate, sage, and graphite. The wine combines the power and structure derived from the blocks that backup to the Mayacamas Mountains (Blocks 1 & 6) with the purity of Oakville fruit from the bench land closer to the highway (Blocks 3 & 4). Characteristic of the vintage, the 2016 VHR is already stunning, showing incredible balance at such an early stage. Bruce has delivered a remarkable follow-up to the near perfect 2015, one that may even surpass it with time in the bottle. 99+.

Two 3 pks + wish for two more

Never paid 225 a bottle. Sounds like this could be worth it. Hopefully some left next week when my release opens.

Never had VHR. So they only make one wine?

Bruce (the proprietor) only make a single wine that is meant to be a singular expression of the vintage and vineyard. But Vine Hill Ranch fruit is in a lot of wines you might know. Bond Vecina comes from Block 1 which also goes into the 2016. Araujo, Lail, Mondavi, and others source from VHR.

You can buy VHR at retail for the same amount as mailing list release price? For those of you who posted about this, can you message me some stores I might find it at?

How do these stack up against Scarecrow, another 100 pointer that’s about to release?

For previous vintages hit up wine searcher and there are lots of shops. 2016 is not available and not sure if the price will be higher because of the 100 point rating.

My email was a “save the date” and said the offering is next week on the 19th. Is it a tiered release?

Must be. Previous year buyers opened yesterday.

Correct, previous buyers get a week for their allocation then opens up to rest.

My wife and I visited with Bruce in December last year. It was an amazing, eye-opening experience. We walked the vineyards and spent at least an hour geeking out about viticulture and planting methods in Napa vs Bordeaux. His passion for his craft is inspiring.

He is also a super-nice gentleman. He opened the 2015 and 2016 (which was not released then) for us to taste. Both were gorgeous, though if I had to choose I would give the edge to the 2016. He then gave us the remaining wine in both bottles to take away with us.

For these reasons, both my wife and I are big fans, and we would be very much inclined to buy our full allocation directly from VHR. Like Denny, we got a save the date email, and we are looking forward to it.