Understanding the Producers of Volnay

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

Understanding the Producers of Volnay

#1 Post by R. Frankel » February 11th, 2019, 7:48 pm

According to CT, these are the largest represented producers of Volnay vineyards (2015 vintage, number represented is bottles in CT)

Domaine Marquis d'Angerville 19.9% Bottles (3,413)
Domaine Michel Lafarge 8.1% Bottles (1,386)
La Pousse d'Or 6.9% Bottles (1,190)
Bouchard Père et Fils 6.1% Bottles (1,041)
Domaine Jean-Marc / Thomas Bouley 4.3% Bottles (729)
Domaine Y. Clerget 4.2% Bottles (715)
Domaine de Montille 4.0% Bottles (683)
Domaine Henri Boillot 3.6% Bottles (611)
Benjamin Leroux 3.2% Bottles (550)
Domaine Joseph Voillot 2.9% Bottles (489)
Nicolas Rossignol 2.6% Bottles (454)
Réyane et Pascal Bouley 2.4% Bottles (414)

How would those who have tasted a lot of these differentiate among these producers? I.e. by style, quality, etc. or other utterly subjective criteria? Or maybe another way of thinking about it, if I was going to build a tasting to represent the variations of Volnay, what would I want to bring to the table?
Rich Frankel

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Understanding the Producers of Volnay

#2 Post by john stimson » February 11th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Focusing on the producers of Volnay is one way to go about it, but if you want to learn about the variations of Volnay I might focus on the vineyards instead.

Greg Pierce

#3 Post by Greg Pierce » February 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Rich,

I would say D'Angerville, Lafarge, and de Montille are the top tier of Volnay producers. I am not sure how to describe any differences in "style," but can vouch for the fact that all three are top notch, and, IMNSHO, are also among the top producers of burgundy in general. De Montille is a particular favorite of mine, but that is partially due to personal history since de Montille's wines were my "gateway" producer for burgundy. I also love both D'Angerville and Lafarge wines, and have had the good fortune to meet the Lafarges and found them to be a great bunch of folks.

As for the other producers, my experiences are largely with Nicolas Rossignol, Pousse d'Or, and Bouley. I have had excellent experience with their wines and view those wines as "buys."

I do not have sufficient experience with the remaining producers to offer an opinion.

PCLIN

#4 Post by PCLIN » February 11th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Interesting topic, an area I am learning at the moment after great experiences with the case of ‘96 Pousse d’Or 60 Ouvrees.

My focus has been on Angerville, Lafarge, and Montille with minor holdings in JM Bouley, Lafon, Pousse d’Or, Bouchard, Camille Giroud, Vaudoisey, Henri Boillot and Fontaine Gagnard. Targeting Taillepieds, Clos de Chenes, Santenots, and Caillerets. Jasper Morris’s “Inside Burgundy” is a good place to learn, extremely fond of the soft copy version in my iPad.
Chiu Lin

Maxwell A.

#5 Post by Maxwell A. » February 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm

not on the list, but Lafon may be worth mentioning in the Volnay conversation...
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 11th, 2019, 9:49 pm

A lot of solid advice. Only thing I would add is that I have found Voillot’s wines to be gems on a regular basis. Also though, Lafarge and Montille wines generally really take some time in the cellar to really approach peak(I am less knowledgeable about Etienne de Montille’s wines than his dad’s. Like Greg, they were a gateway producer, but the 91s, 95s, and 96s were coiled for a long time.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Todd Hamina » February 11th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Watching a video old man De Montille dancing around a restaurant joyful that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Centers on 9/11, because we deserved it, put me off this producer forever.

The D'Angerville and Pousse d'Or wines are extra beautiful.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Y » February 11th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 10:28 pm
Watching a video old man De Montille dancing around a restaurant joyful that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Centers on 9/11, because we deserved it, put me off this producer forever.

The D'Angerville and Pousse d'Or wines are extra beautiful.
Wwwow. Link to video?
Y.e.

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Todd Hamina » February 11th, 2019, 11:00 pm

I haven't seen the video for years, but... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106759
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

William Kelley

#10 Post by William Kelley » February 12th, 2019, 3:40 am

R. Frankel wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:48 pm
According to CT, these are the largest represented producers of Volnay vineyards (2015 vintage, number represented is bottles in CT)

How would those who have tasted a lot of these differentiate among these producers? I.e. by style, quality, etc. or other utterly subjective criteria? Or maybe another way of thinking about it, if I was going to build a tasting to represent the variations of Volnay, what would I want to bring to the table?
That's quite a big question! And as most of these producers have evolved over the years, it's open-ended.

Domaine Marquis d'Angerville: pure, satiny, elegant wines with depth and tension; today they are less austere / tight-knit than in the 1990s and before, but they still need time.

Domaine Michel Lafarge: a broader shouldered, wilder / more nobly rustic style, I hesitate to say earthier but certainly typically showing more tertiary notes than young d'Angerville; also, indeed a fortiori, reward long aging

La Pousse d'Or: formerly the poster child for whole cluster in the Côte de Beaune, beautifully floral and supple wines, today more modern and less distinctive

Bouchard Père et Fils: guess this is by virtue of the Cuvée Carnot, which is a well situated parcel of Caillerets. The 2016 and 2017 were pretty good, with Bouchard's toasty/spicy cooperage signature

Domaine Jean-Marc / Thomas Bouley: a very serious young guy who spends a lot of time in the vines, lots of whole cluster here, and concentration for the vineyards not the cellar - really nice wines

Domaine Y. Clerget: a revived domaine with some very fine holdings and a dynamic young winemaker in Thibaud Clerget who has already attracted a lot of attention. Quite deep, saturated wines with persuasive purity of fruit. Evolving, it seems to me, in the direction of finesse.

Domaine de Montille: formerly austere wines for purists that took a long time to come around but often rewarded it; since the mid-1990s, more modern in style, less forbidding, with more new wood and a purer expression of fruit, though they still need bottle age

Domaine Henri Boillot: quite a gourmand, fleshy expression with a toasty wood signature - reds are getting lots of attention from Guillaume Boillot (a contemporary of the young Clerget) so worth watching

Benjamin Leroux: don't know these so well

Domaine Joseph Voillot: a very classic style with supple tannins and lovely purity of fruit, they age well and drink well quite young too - somewhat under the radar

Nicolas Rossignol: rich, gourmand and vibrant wines that are very impressive, Rossignol used quite a bit of new wood at the start of his career but now uses hardly any

Réyane et Pascal Bouley: don't know these so well
The Wine Advocate

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 3:45 am

Nicholas Rossignol, Clerget, and d’Angerville take up a good chunk of my cellar.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Howard Cooper » February 12th, 2019, 4:51 am

I am very surprised that Clerget is that high among producers of Volnay in terms of bottles. D'Angerville, Lafarge, Bouchard, Lafon, etc., have been around for many, many years. Even Bouley has been making wine for a number of years now.

Clerget is a very, very old domaine (I think Thibaud is the 20 something's generation), but he has only been making wine since 2015. For several years before that, wines from the domaine were not available after Thibaud's father retired and sold grapes to others for several years. Yes, Yvon Clerget wines were sold at very attractive prices for several years from Envoyer, but the wines were good, not great. From what I have seen, it is only with Thibaud taking over the estate that the wines have become first class. And, this is a small estate. It is amazing that they are in sixth place in bottles from Thibaud's first vintage.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 4:57 am

I was surprised by that too, but some ppl must’ve stocked up. Ct isn’t even that up to date bc I haven’t logged most of mind and I put away a lot of 15 versueil. My thought is that since it’s not a super well known domaine perhaps a lot more of the ppl who bought it use CT.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Howard Cooper » February 12th, 2019, 5:19 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 4:57 am
I was surprised by that too, but some ppl must’ve stocked up. Ct isn’t even that up to date bc I haven’t logged most of mind and I put away a lot of 15 versueil. My thought is that since it’s not a super well known domaine perhaps a lot more of the ppl who bought it use CT.
Could be.
Howard

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 5:49 am

I’m surprised jadot isn’t higher.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 5:58 am

Anyways my thoughts:

Angerville: still the gold standard imo. Wines are slightly more modern than before but benefit greatly from long aging. Nuanced wines with good power.

de Montille: more modern, I especially like the whites.

Clerget: beautiful wines especially the monopole, endless potential, grace and power.

Rossignol: most power of any of the Volnay producers I’ve seen; could easily be confused with cdn wines blind, nice aromatics.

Nathan V.

#17 Post by Nathan V. » February 12th, 2019, 6:26 am

If I were to put them on a stylistic spectrum, Voillot is the most traditional, H. Boillot the most modern and d'Angerville firmly occupying the center (NB: I'm not familiar with all of these producers).

One producer that was left off that I personally think is doing outstanding work is Louis Boillot. Only a couple of wines in Volnay and isn't based there, but somewhere around d'Angerville on the spectrum, though a bit more lean.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Matthew King » February 12th, 2019, 8:15 am

R. Frankel wrote:

If you really are planning a tasting make sure to include wines from 2007. I think the village did remarkably well in this supposedly "off" vintage. The wines are drinking well right now. The transparent, more "feminine" nature of the commune shows well in lighter, early drinking vintages like 07. I've had a real soft spot for 07 Angerville Taillepieds over the years.
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by R. Frankel » February 12th, 2019, 8:22 am

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and input. Clearly I need to drink a few more myself.

What got me interested were some Lucien Boillot Caillerets and d’Angerville 1ers. I was also very impressed by the ‘15s from Clerget at last year’s La Paulee. As a (generalized) characteristic, I’m very attracted to the beautiful floral noses and balanced palates. Plus the prices are more approachable relative to the CdN. I appreciate the thoughts and help on a path forward.
Rich Frankel

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 12th, 2019, 8:30 am

William Kelley wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 3:40 am
R. Frankel wrote:

That's quite a big question! And as most of these producers have evolved over the years, it's open-ended.

Domaine Marquis d'Angerville: pure, satiny, elegant wines with depth and tension; today they are less austere / tight-knit than in the 1990s and before, but they still need time.

Domaine Michel Lafarge: a broader shouldered, wilder / more nobly rustic style, I hesitate to say earthier but certainly typically showing more tertiary notes than young d'Angerville; also, indeed a fortiori, reward long aging

La Pousse d'Or: formerly the poster child for whole cluster in the Côte de Beaune, beautifully floral and supple wines, today more modern and less distinctive

Bouchard Père et Fils: guess this is by virtue of the Cuvée Carnot, which is a well situated parcel of Caillerets. The 2016 and 2017 were pretty good, with Bouchard's toasty/spicy cooperage signature

Domaine Jean-Marc / Thomas Bouley: a very serious young guy who spends a lot of time in the vines, lots of whole cluster here, and concentration for the vineyards not the cellar - really nice wines

Domaine Y. Clerget: a revived domaine with some very fine holdings and a dynamic young winemaker in Thibaud Clerget who has already attracted a lot of attention. Quite deep, saturated wines with persuasive purity of fruit. Evolving, it seems to me, in the direction of finesse.

Domaine de Montille: formerly austere wines for purists that took a long time to come around but often rewarded it; since the mid-1990s, more modern in style, less forbidding, with more new wood and a purer expression of fruit, though they still need bottle age

Domaine Henri Boillot: quite a gourmand, fleshy expression with a toasty wood signature - reds are getting lots of attention from Guillaume Boillot (a contemporary of the young Clerget) so worth watching

Domaine Joseph Voillot: a very classic style with supple tannins and lovely purity of fruit, they age well and drink well quite young too - somewhat under the radar

Nicolas Rossignol: rich, gourmand and vibrant wines that are very impressive, Rossignol used quite a bit of new wood at the start of his career but now uses hardly any

What a fantastic post! Thanks for the education
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 8:44 am

Agree completely on 07, great vintage.
Matthew King wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 8:15 am
R. Frankel wrote:

If you really are planning a tasting make sure to include wines from 2007. I think the village did remarkably well in this supposedly "off" vintage. The wines are drinking well right now. The transparent, more "feminine" nature of the commune shows well in lighter, early drinking vintages like 07. I've had a real soft spot for 07 Angerville Taillepieds over the years.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Howard Cooper » February 12th, 2019, 10:25 am

Maxwell A. wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm
not on the list, but Lafon may be worth mentioning in the Volnay conversation...
I agree.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Howard Cooper » February 12th, 2019, 10:36 am

Nathan V. wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 6:26 am
If I were to put them on a stylistic spectrum, Voillot is the most traditional, H. Boillot the most modern and d'Angerville firmly occupying the center (NB: I'm not familiar with all of these producers).

One producer that was left off that I personally think is doing outstanding work is Louis Boillot. Only a couple of wines in Volnay and isn't based there, but somewhere around d'Angerville on the spectrum, though a bit more lean.
People buying wine from vintages prior to 2010 should be aware that there were two estates at that time called Louis Boillot. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102129&p=1497390&hi ... t#p1497390 From prior discussions on this topic with Nathan, I would assume that he is describing the Louis Boillot that is the husband of Barthod in Chambolle, not the one who was a small producer in Volnay. The second one is now owned by Champy, which I believe calls the wines from the old Boillot properties the Domaine de la Chapelle.
Howard

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Matthew King » February 12th, 2019, 10:45 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 8:30 am
William Kelley wrote:
R. Frankel wrote:

Yes, it's really a blessing to have William continue to share his informed insights on this board. I hope we don't scare him off soon! [wow.gif]

I even learned a new term from him -- a fortiori. But all you Monkton attorneys already knew that, right?
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Nathan V.

#25 Post by Nathan V. » February 12th, 2019, 11:20 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 10:36 am
Nathan V. wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 6:26 am

People buying wine from vintages prior to 2010 should be aware that there were two estates at that time called Louis Boillot. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102129&p=1497390&hi ... t#p1497390 From prior discussions on this topic with Nathan, I would assume that he is describing the Louis Boillot that is the husband of Barthod in Chambolle, not the one who was a small producer in Volnay. The second one is now owned by Champy, which I believe calls the wines from the old Boillot properties the Domaine de la Chapelle.
Howard, yes exactly, I'm referring to Ghislaine Barthod's husband, Louis Boillot, who formed his domain in 2003 from the Lucien Boillot domain which continues under his brother. I have never had wines from the other Louis Boillot that you refer to.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Peter Chiu

#26 Post by Peter Chiu » February 12th, 2019, 11:49 am

Matthew King wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 10:45 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
William Kelley wrote:

Yes, it's really a blessing to have William continue to share his informed insights on this board. I hope we don't scare him off soon! [wow.gif]

I even learned a new term from him -- a fortiori. But all you Monkton attorneys already knew that, right?
+ 1 regarding your comments to have William..... [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Was 2010 the last vintage from Louis Boillot? I just opened a 10 Grande Poisots tonight which is beautiful.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by john stimson » February 12th, 2019, 4:38 pm

What a great response from folks a lot of very useful information. The dilemma now is what to do interms of a tasting. Do you pick one site (eg Champans) and a bunch of different producers, or or one producer and a bunch of differentsites (eg d’angerville)? I realize I’m not helping much here.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I think the one site a lot of producers use is caillerets

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 3:57 pm
Was 2010 the last vintage from Louis Boillot? I just opened a 10 Grande Poisots tonight which is beautiful.
How about a label shot?

YLee

#31 Post by YLee » February 12th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:58 am
Anyways my thoughts:

Angerville: still the gold standard imo. Wines are slightly more modern than before but benefit greatly from long aging. Nuanced wines with good power.

de Montille: more modern, I especially like the whites.

Clerget: beautiful wines especially the monopole, endless potential, grace and power.

Rossignol: most power of any of the Volnay producers I’ve seen; could easily be confused with cdn wines blind, nice aromatics.
Never had Rossignol wines. Which of his wines woild you say are top notch that you have tasted?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Cheever and Caillerets are the best imo.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
How about a label shot?
Attachments
96F3AF41-FD44-4A04-A7A3-3CB4C575588B.jpeg

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 12th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
How about a label shot?
That the producer Nathan is mentioning.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 6:07 pm

This is the one that’s not married to Barthod? Or is?

James Billy

#36 Post by James Billy » February 12th, 2019, 6:32 pm

So, whole bunch/cluster seems popular in Volnay. Which producers generally destem 100% and which ones generaly only use small percentages of stems?

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by R. Frankel » February 12th, 2019, 6:33 pm

john stimson wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 4:38 pm
What a great response from folks a lot of very useful information. The dilemma now is what to do interms of a tasting. Do you pick one site (eg Champans) and a bunch of different producers, or or one producer and a bunch of differentsites (eg d’angerville)? I realize I’m not helping much here.
Agreed (great info! just the kind of discussion I was hoping for). Of course both approaches to tastings are fun and informative, though I'm leaning towards trying to sample multiple producers to get a feel for style, and then zero in on whatever I like best. D'Angerville is double (or more) the prices of the others, but the price gap is not as huge as in other appellations. I'm still struggling whether to pay the premium.
Rich Frankel

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Craig G » February 12th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Here’s the link to the old Volnay Appellation thread. There is some interesting discussion there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46112
Last edited by Craig G on February 12th, 2019, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Alan Rath » February 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Craig G wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 6:47 pm
Here’s the link to the old Volnay Appellation thread. There is some interesting discussion there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46112&hilit=WB+Burg ... ion+series
Or without the distracting search highlights neener

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46112
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Craig G » February 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Sorry.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by R. Frankel » February 12th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Alan/Craig, thanks for that thread. Lots of interesting material there, though also interesting how some of it is out of date. In just a few years Volnay has turned to a number of young guns (Clerget, Rossignol, Bouley, others) advancing quality on their domaines. But seems like d'Angerville and Lafarge are still at the top of the heap.
Rich Frankel

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 12th, 2019, 7:07 pm

I’m a big fan of angerville but their prices went up a ton from 14 to 16. ~300/btl for ducs is tough. Envoyer had some nice deals on 15s lately though. One of my best scores of last year was some 13 champans for ~50/btl though.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm

PCLIN wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Interesting topic, an area I am learning at the moment after great experiences with the case of ‘96 Pousse d’Or 60 Ouvrees.

My focus has been on Angerville, Lafarge, and Montille with minor holdings in JM Bouley, Lafon, Pousse d’Or, Bouchard, Camille Giroud, Vaudoisey, Henri Boillot and Fontaine Gagnard. Targeting Taillepieds, Clos de Chenes, Santenots, and Caillerets. Jasper Morris’s “Inside Burgundy” is a good place to learn, extremely fond of the soft copy version in my iPad.
The 90, 91, 95, and 96 Pousse d’Or 60 Ouvrees bottlings are among my all time favorite Burgundy experiences. Gerard Potel’s work remains my favorite expression from the commune.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
William Kelley wrote:
R. Frankel wrote:

+1
Winemaker & Owner

PCLIN

#45 Post by PCLIN » February 13th, 2019, 1:05 am

Anyone has experience with Joseph Drouhin Clos des Chenes ? Tiny plot of only 0.25 Ha, so not much wine around. But I would think Drouhin’s house style would be perfect for Volnay.
Chiu Lin

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Howard Cooper » February 13th, 2019, 4:19 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm
PCLIN wrote:

The 90, 91, 95, and 96 Pousse d’Or 60 Ouvrees bottlings are among my all time favorite Burgundy experiences. Gerard Potel’s work remains my favorite expression from the commune.
I also very much loved the wines from Gerard Potel. But, the wines made since he died after the 1996 vintage are made in a very different style. The wines made today are very lush and I don't have a good sense yet whether they will age as well as the wines from Potel.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Howard Cooper » February 13th, 2019, 4:22 am

In order of bottles owned, the producers for which I own the most Volnay are:

d'Angerville
Dublere
Louis Boillot (the producer that no longer exists)
Bouchard
Pousse d'Or
Clerget
Lafon
Howard

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 13th, 2019, 4:35 am

For me:

Rossignol
Angerville
Clerget
Bouchard
Lafarge

William Kelley

#49 Post by William Kelley » February 13th, 2019, 4:48 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm
PCLIN wrote:

Dank the 1991 60 Ouvrées in Norway last week and it was beautifully floral and lifted. I think the 1990 (which is one of the 1990s that have aged well) is a bit beeper and more complete though. Given how good 1989 Volnays can be, I would love to try that vintage, but I have never encountered it.
The Wine Advocate

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 13th, 2019, 4:54 am

I’ve been underwhelmed by the recent Bouchard and Pousse reds I’ve had.

Return to “Wine Talk”