Fabre Montmayou: '12 Viñalba G.R., '15 Pretty, '14 Grand Vin

Tasted over the course of 8 days.

2012 Viñalba Gran Reserva Malbec

Continues to uphold its reputation as the 2018 QPR Red of the Year.

We may never again see a bargain like this in our market.

2015 Pretty Malbec

Tough as nails. Did not relax at all.

I got no reading on this wine whatsoever.

2015 Grand Vin
85% Malbec, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot

Very tight on Day 1.

But around Day 2 or Day 3, she opens up a little, and you begin to realize what an elegant mouthfeel she has.

Did not come anywhere close to oxidizing over the course of 8 days.

At this pricepoint, it has to be the best Bordeaux blend in our market.

Circa 1999, this would have been 94 points in the Wine Advocate, which makes it about 98 or 99 points in 2019.

Be forewarned, though, that this wine needs massive air.

If you want to serve it at a Saturday night dinner party, then open no later than about Tuesday evening, and pour yourself a thimbleful, put the cork back in, leave it in the fridge overnight, and then repeat that routine every day until Saturday, when you might still need to audouze it for an afternoon.

Also be forewarned that if you’re 50 or older, then the actuarial tables say that you’re not gonna live to drink this wine at peak [circa 2054 to 2074].

So either oxygenate it aggressively if you open it before then, or look upon this wine as an heirloom for your kids or your grandkids.

Another observation: As you move through the pricepoints - “Viñalba” to “Pretty” to “Grand Vin” - the bottles get larger & heavier and the corks become much nicer & longer.

And by the time you get to the Grand Vin, you’ve got a very high quality, exceptionally long cork in there.

So somebody at Fabre has their eye on the horizon here.

One final note: These are monster wines.

Tasting three of them at a time is killer.

If you’re like me, and you struggle with the histamines, then don’t be surprised if you get a nagging cough by the end of the week.

And I was spitting [except for little sips of the Grand Vin - it was just too good not to swallow].

viñalba_pretty_grand-vin.jpg