Reflections: Beautiful Wines to Break a Dry January

In an earlier thread I shared impressions of my Dry January. Now I detail the glorious breaking of my self-imposed fast. Not sure if it’s a function of re-calibrating my jaded palate, or just hitting a good run, but I’ve been drinking well since Feb. 1

I’m probably like a sailor who comes into port on R&R who falls for every woman (man?) that walks into the bar. But each and every one of these wines cast a spell on me.

2006, Mugnier, Chambolle Musigny, Fuees

My favorite wine from chez Mugnier. Stony and succulent and oh-so-red-fruited. Yes, there’s just a tinge of green. And maybe it’s a tad short compared to other vintages, but this is textbook Chambolle for me. Lovely and ready.

2006, Lopez de Heredia, Tondonia, Reserva Rioja

Like the Mugnier, this is transparent ruby. Beautiful nose of cranberry and faded leather. Palate is a bit clenched, with acidity to the fore. Nice herbal wash on finish. Needs time, but again this is good QPR Tempranillo for me. Appreciate that there wasn’t a ton of oak or dill on this. Needs food.

1996, Giacosa, Barbaresco, Rabaja

Oh boy. It’s very unusual for me to cite the color of a wine as its main attribute. But this is like a gorgeous dusky jewel. Totally transparent with just a hint of orange at the rim. You know how people talk about being content sniffing a wine for 10 minutes before tasting? Same thing here, but I just wanted to look at it before tasting.

I’m not an expert in older Nebbiolo. But even after 20 years, this wine seemed like it’s still in its adolescence. The nose seems resolved with requisite tarry notes and potpourri. The palate is medium-bodied with dark cherry, dried herbs and a touch of soil. Tannins have melted but there’s still plenty of acidity that perks up the wine and makes it feel younger than it is. Remarkably, this wine did not fade one iota after two days in a decanter in my cellar. I have a few more, and will wait five years. A contemplative wine.

2013, Pierre Yves Colin-Morey, Meursault, Charmes

I opened this after reading another thread touting 2013 WB and PYCMs in particular. This flat-out rocked. No reduction. It’s a bit brassy, but there are no advanced qualities. Just that Meursault honey-nut thing going on, leavened by the lime zest and stone dust I associate with PYCM. I usually like his Chassagnes the best, followed by the Aubins for QPR purposes – so I actually don’t have a ton of experience with the Meursaults. But this is in the zone right now. Everything in the right proportion – full orchard fruit, framing acids and persistent finish.

Hope I don’t sound too uncritical in these notes. But I got lucky. May have to abstain more often.