"Cost to Grape to Expression" Ratio

So myself and a few other “snobs” got in an argument. We couldn’t agree on which grape demands is the least money to get the top expression of that style of wine. That is, you are required to pay a lot more money to get the top expression of pinot noir as compared to, say, syrah.

So what would you say for both white and red?

Zinfandel for red.

Best of class Ridge Geyserville for $35 and under.

Hard to beat that, year after year. Arguably one of the best QORs in the world of wine. And the pinnacle of the grape expression (granted, it is a blend). Bedrock heritage wines right there in the hunt.

I’ll play

White - Aligote or Melon de Bourgogne

Red - Gamay

Great question!

Gamay (many of the best producers still have wines at $30.)

Riesling (Melon as second choice)

Damn, Kevin, now you are making me pick between Thivin and Ridge. Lol, I’m so torn.

Great call on gamay.

Considering my signature, I should toss out Loire Cab Franc, since there are killer wines under $50, but Rougeard blows the argument, and it is the pinnacle expression.

How about Barbera, Dolcetto and Vermentino??
Malvasia Bianca??

Agree with Gamay.
If the wine doesn’t have to be any good, I’d say Concord.

And the worst? (aside from Pinot Noir).

These types of questions are difficult because there are other variables beyond price. Are we factoring in aging wines, or just at release?
I say that because my first thought was to vote for Gamay, but I think I’ll join Marcus in another vote for Riesling.
Thinking about an '01 Prum WS a few months back that was probably under $30 at release but is mind-boggling good right now.
And a '99 Donnhoff, and an '01 Keller…

For “best” … Sherry!!

Beat me to it!

Reread OP , I guess I’m disqualified, Sherry isn’t a grape.
So, I’m resubmitting as 1. Pedro Ximenez, 2. Palomino.

Anything requiring aging in cask is going to increase costs. Money flow and the like.

I would guess Chardonnay since even w high yields it expresses itself well. Don’t have to do élevage in oak.

Rose?

Yep, I know it’s not a ‘variety’ but . . .

Seems to me melon de bourgogne has to be the winner. For my taste Briords is probably the best and it’s under $20, and even the more prestige offerings aren’t much more expensive. Can’t think of anything else which comes close to those metrics.

Would you say Manischewitz or Mogen David represents the pinnacle expression of the Concord grape?

After the fourth glass, who cares?
First time I was inebriated.
Chag Sameach!

I think this is largely a regional argument on top of the grape, but i’m a big fan of the value to be found with Riesling in the white realm - the diversity in Alsace alone leaves much value to be found as well as varying RS levels for equally varying cuisine.

Then in Loire you have an equally diverse and value present spectrum of Chenin, while you can also skip down to SA and you’ll also find some bang-a-rang examples.

Red… I’d say regardless of location you Rhone varietals, not necessarily in a Rhone blend, + the already mentioned Gamay.