2017 Casa Emma Chianti Classico

• 2017 Casa Emma Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2/10/2019)
    tasted just before the Anteprima event that begins tomorrow morning here in Florence. Having tasted / drank these wines with great regularity since the 1997 vintage, I have to say this redefines this estate (which I already hold in high regard) and is a bold move up the quality ladder. Considering the vintage, it’s superb. Considering the variety, and zone (San Donato) within Classico area, it’s riveting. Buy all you can find. This could easily be confused (at this stage, granted it was bottled a few days ago) with a pricy, high-scoring Brunello. highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

the other 61 wines at tomorrow’s Anteprima event have their work cut out; more on that, later

Still trying to get my hands on the 2015 Casa Emma CCR

Jeff, I tasted that last night as well. Double underlined in my notes is “elegant masterpiece”. I will be purchasing a lot.

The new release of Gran Selezione wine was bottled last June, and will release in the next few months. Starkly different than the '17 Classico, as expected; I think it needs 1-2 more years in bottle before it can possibly show as well as the 2015 CCR shows in this moment.

And I assume the 2016 version is even better than 2017???

Martin, they are two totally different wines, each a great representative of the vintage. For me, '17 is to enjoy now and next 5 years. '16, I am in no hurry to open any as yet.

at this point, no 2015 CCR is in USA, but will be before too long

I am very new to the world of Chiantis, so please bear with me. So far have a couple of nebbiolos and barbarescos lying around the cellar but that is all. 90% of my cellar is German Riesling, Pinot and assorted South African Whites and Reds (the wife is south african so we have a good representation there)

This board has served me well over the past, so thought i would check out the offerings in stores near me. and can only find the 2016 expression. Thought i would spring for a full case as a nice table wine. Should I be waiting with opening these up, or keeping them in the cellar for a longer period? How would this compare to the 2016 Felsina Chianti Classico of which i also bought 2 bottles (only ones on stock)?

In meantime will keep my eyes peeled for the 2017!

I also love this producer. One of the first Chianti’s I cut my teeth on about 10 years ago. Always found it to be a beautiful, traditional expression of Tuscany.

I’m curious which vintages people are enjoying today. Based on tasting them over a few years I thought they’d have a long drinking window. I was surprised to find my '06, '07, '09 CC’s have felt a bit over the hill recently (and I like mature wine). Storage was pristine.

The CCR’s on the other hand felt even tighter and more structured when young. A '99 CCR consumed in late 2011 was gorgeous. So I still have faith the CCRs probably have a fairly long window.

Did you enjoy the '17 more than the '15? If so, can you describe why? Thanks in advance.

Mat,

I can’t compare this to Felsina, but I can say that I’ve been drinking this wine since the 2006 vintage with some minimal experience with the 2001’s and a few 97’s. To me, this is a hidden gem in the region. I enjoy all the wines they make, but in particular I think the CCR is a stellar value from this Estate. I have a hard time holding onto them…they’re just so easy to love. The Gran Selezione is a special wine, but in my mind…not worth 3x the CCR (which I think is where the screaming value is). However, hearing this report about the 2017’s maybe I need to be stocking up on these by the case.