TN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '14...(short/boring)

Tried this Fri night w/ Susan:

1. Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (13.8%) 2014: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; very fragrant honeyed/orangey/honeycomb/graham cracker slight floral/fruity very slight resiny/phenolic almost muscatty slight nutty quite complex nose; quite tart/tangy rather honeyed/honeycomb/orangey/graham cracker/honey grahams rather nutty lightly phenolic/resiny bit oxidative some bitter complex flavor; very long orangey/honeyed/honeycomb/honey grahams somewhat nutter/bitter quite tart/tangy bit oxidative slight resiny/phenolic somewhat lean/austere/rather bitter complex finish; has evolved in a very strange way & lost the lush fruit it once showed; seems more like a Georgian austere qvervi Rikatsetelli w/ a trace of oxidation more than the Idlewild I know & love; don’t understand this wine at all. $32.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I tried this wine over two yrs ago:

I obviously loved that wine back then. This btl left me scratching my head. It was not a bad wine, per se, and was perfectely fine w/ the broiled keilbasa…but it had evolved into something I totally did not expect. I was particularly struch by the bitter streak it showed on the palate.
Tom

As FloridaJim reports:

And as SamBilbro reports:

Tom

Not a ton of experience, but skin contact white wines seem to go through some rather unpredictable ups and downs.

Yup, David…don’t know about ups&downs, but I’m still trying to figure out how they will age/evolve.
Just don’t have the experience yet to predict like I do w/ direct-to-press whites.
Tom