2009 Cristal, 1990 Paul Bara Special Club

We had dinner with friends at Rasika last night and opened these two bottles. I took no notes, but both wines were perfect with dinner (which was terrific as always). The Cristal was sensational. So vivid it demands attention without being sharp or strident. The acid makes it zing but the deep fruit sands the edges down. An absolutely gorgeous, regal drink. I suspect it will get better and better, but I can’t say that I was disappointed to have opened it last night even though I have only one more bottle.

The contrast to the Paul Bara could not have been more stark. Where the Cristal was bright and elevated, the Bara was rich and mellow with age. Honestly, this wine was probably at its best 3-4 years ago, but it was still a great pleasure to drink last night. Lots of apricots and almonds and a silken finish.

Sometimes you have high expectations for the bottles you open and they exceed them.

I agree, the '09 Cristal is an amazing wine, drinking really well despite its youth. Maybe there is something to Biodynamic growing. It’s the wine that made me realize 2009 might be a great rather than good champagne vintage.
I’ve never had a Paul Bara with age, but it sounds beautiful.

Cheers,
Warren

Great notes on great wines. 09 Cristal has been consistently delicious on several occasions. As has Rasika, for that matter.

Nice, Neal! Really evocative, delicious-sounding notes.

What Neal said.
IMG_5633.JPG