TN Rhys Horseshoe Vnyd 2010 PN

I have not noted many Rhys TNs of late and there has been an ongoing debate about the ageability and evolution of these wines. Popped a bottle of this last night to have with a roast chicken and various sides. In a word, the nose of this wine was stunning. Best comparison (emotional I know) was the scent you would get as an altar boy of incense wafting through a church. Palate was tinged with anise, clove and slightly bitter cherry (in a good way). Medium plus finish of 20-30 seconds and crisp acidity. A really big PN, but for me at least utterly ravishing. Don’t think I would have a hard time picking this out as a new world wine in a blind tasting. I guess I have reconciled myself that these will likely never turn into those earth driven, musky premier cru Burgundies I had hoped for when I first bought them. However the evolution of this wine is really very positive and complex.

All in all, I am not disappointed I bought a pantload of these wines over the years, and I think the chardonnays are even better examples of the grape at times than the pinots.

Anyone out there cracking their older Rhys and having the same experience? Just curious…