TN Rhys Horseshoe Vnyd 2010 PN

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN Rhys Horseshoe Vnyd 2010 PN

#1 Post by Dennis Borczon » February 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

I have not noted many Rhys TNs of late and there has been an ongoing debate about the ageability and evolution of these wines. Popped a bottle of this last night to have with a roast chicken and various sides. In a word, the nose of this wine was stunning. Best comparison (emotional I know) was the scent you would get as an altar boy of incense wafting through a church. Palate was tinged with anise, clove and slightly bitter cherry (in a good way). Medium plus finish of 20-30 seconds and crisp acidity. A really big PN, but for me at least utterly ravishing. Don't think I would have a hard time picking this out as a new world wine in a blind tasting. I guess I have reconciled myself that these will likely never turn into those earth driven, musky premier cru Burgundies I had hoped for when I first bought them. However the evolution of this wine is really very positive and complex.

All in all, I am not disappointed I bought a pantload of these wines over the years, and I think the chardonnays are even better examples of the grape at times than the pinots.

Anyone out there cracking their older Rhys and having the same experience? Just curious...

Return to “Wine Talk”