Just curious about others collection

After many years going back to at least 2002.
I became a wine appreciator of California wines
Reds, Cabs,Syrah, Grenache…

I have read many post of reviews , notes, and points…
So, what happens to those wines shared with others that
If completed… how do you replace those rare wines that our in limited supplies…

We have wines we share along with establishing a
High end collection for our children…
Yes, I am a California wine believer…
Over 950 plus bottles many magnums…

Yes…I know I should drink now, share now, but if your on list that that limits production… drink now… but what
Happens if you want to revisit years from now…

Criteria
Customer service, Points average 96-100,
Ageability, and then natural limitation , finally
How do we enjoy the experience.

No I do no have the artistic vocabulary of wine Geeks,
Thank you for the read… Just curios how many on this board live in Florida

There is a whole bunch of stuff there, Harvey. You need to pull out a single question for us.

Hi, Harvey!

Welcome!

We have some things in common. I live in Northern California so admit to a NorCal bias in my adventures.

Let’s see now…

“We have wines we share along with establishing a High end collection for our children…”
Yup, they get what’s left, but I loaded up birth year wines. In retrospect, I could have chilled out because the secondary market is so easy to use in this internet era. Back filling is amazingly easy. Whatever I may want, boom, it’s there!
Yes, I am a California wine believer…

Me, too. It’s fun and easy and we get to go visit. It’s weird, but I think Bordeaux has been chasing California this past decade, or two. The styles seem to often be merging more along Cali lines than Bordeaux lines. I tend toward liking more austere wines, so I see this trend as lessening Bordeaux and making it so I have to search harder in California, but it’s all part of the fun.

Over 950 plus bottles many magnums…

Perfect, you just answered a big part of your question about the future: magnums! I’m 59 and still in the buying phase of my life. I haven’t worked out when to flip the balance more toward drinking than buying, but it’s out there. As you find stuff you like and want to hold for a long period, add extra bottles and put them somewhere you don’t typically look in your cellar. Don’t even put them on your inventory. Just set 'em and forget 'em. It will all work out.
Yes…I know I should drink now, share now, but if your on list that that limits production… drink now… but what
Happens if you want to revisit years from now…

I hear ya, the tragedy of limited allocation. My rule is “Get Three.” One to open in the short term to get and idea of style and to try to predict the future, one to open when you planned, and one to open when it’s actually closer to ready. That’s the best I got. That rule, plus the one about trying to forget I have them has gotten me through several decades of happiness.

Criteria
Customer service.

Sure, that’s good.

Points average 96-100.

No, that way lies madness. Buy for your palate and screw points.

Ageability, and then natural limitation.

That’s where your homework and palate count most. This is a great place to use Wine searcher, Wine Bid, etc. to seek out older wines, calibrate your palate, and then move forward from there! This is your journey, not anyone else’s. We are swimming in a sea of aged wine for sale, it’s a beautiful thing. Don’t focus on only acquiring new releases. Back fill is fun!

An exception to the “taste for yourself rule:” There have been times here when I read an interesting tasting note for an aged wine, ran to Wine Searcher, then grabbed a wine in question so I could get a sense of my own from a board discussion. It has enriched my enjoyment of the hobby immensely!

finally
How do we enjoy the experience.

**Hang out here! We have an incredible array winos ranging from “baby killers” to “vinous gerontophiliacs!”

My own wine joy has some distinct focus points that differ in how I relate to what’s going on:
\

1. Tasting with just my wife. Commenting on wines we’ve shared, where in the pantheon a given wine seems to fit, pairing with small meals, typically only trying one (two at the most) wines in an evening. When I have a joyful taste of wine, I am looking at the person who brings me the most joy in life!
    \
  2. Tasting with wino friends. We have a local group that has focused tastings. I get to taste a wider variety of wines, many unfamiliar to me, and we talk about the “objectively.” Totally different from spouse time, and its own wonderful reward. I enjoy new finds, new words, good wine fellowship.
    \
  3. Tasting “here.” I love reading a tasting note and then grabbing a bottle to so what I think. This place is a fantastic never ending ongoing open ended wine tasting with virtual friends. (They don’t even know they are my friends, but it’s OK.)
    \
  4. Winery tastings help me get a quick handle on house style across a range of grapes. Even the pricey wineries are worth it, to me, because I get to taste a solid variety of wines for reference and future shopping! Also, I learn a lot from the people I meet.

So, enough of me talking, tell us more about you!**

champagne.gif

Harvey,

Honestly I don’t even worry about replacing them, there is always another vintage of the century around the corner…when it comes to CA wines, I make a point of drinking one young and making a note of when I’d revisit the others, every year, 3 years, 5 years, whatever.

I always err on the side of 1 day too young than 1 day too old.

Drink up. They’ll make more.
Actually one of the things that my wife made me stop doing was buying single bottles of things. She always wants to have a team least a second bottle to open having the baseline info from the first. But I rarely worry about drinking my final bottle of a wine. If I have six+ of something special, MAYBE I hold onto that final one for some ideal occasion, but I don’t worry when it’s gone. Also, if one wants, there’s a lot of wine at auction to search for an occasional replacement.

You Don’t replace them. You drink them, and they will have gone to a better place. In the end, karma wins.