Sicily rediscovers wine varieties previously thought to be extinct

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

Sicily rediscovers wine varieties previously thought to be extinct

#1 Post by Warren Taranow » February 10th, 2019, 8:28 am

The wine, science and history geeks in me all like this article. Thanks to Alder Yarrow and Vinography.com for emailing it to me.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Sicily rediscovers wine varieties previously thought to be extinct

#2 Post by Cris Whetstone » February 10th, 2019, 10:35 am

That is very cool. Interesting that several of them are the result of a cross with Sangiovese. I did have to wonder how a variety with 8,000 planted vines was considered extinct though.
Lucignola
Red – A cross of Sangiovese and an unknown variety. Rediscovered in the Nebrodi Mountains. It results in high-alcohol and high-acidity wines.
That sounds interesting.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Wes Barton » February 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 10:35 am
I did have to wonder how a variety with 8,000 planted vines was considered extinct though.
Hiding in plain sight - thought to be something else. We've seen that in other regions. What was thought to be one grape variety turns out to be 2 or 3 unrelated(!) grapes that performing more or less the same.
ITB - Useless lackey

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Cris Whetstone » February 10th, 2019, 11:26 am

Wes Barton wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
Cris Whetstone wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 10:35 am
I did have to wonder how a variety with 8,000 planted vines was considered extinct though.
Hiding in plain sight - thought to be something else. We've seen that in other regions. What was thought to be one grape variety turns out to be 2 or 3 unrelated(!) grapes that performing more or less the same.
Yes. This is part of the reason they were able to find Zinfandel in the old world.

I'm just wondering if the idea that the varieties were actually thought to have been extinct or if it was more of a matter of finding what was there because there were no recent documentation of those varieties. Lack of effort in cataloging is not the same as something not being found.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Return to “Wine Talk”