TN: Third Twin

DF226484-9F1F-463F-9027-C27E904B8175.jpeg
We wasted no time popping this one. Surprisingly open in its youth. At over 16%, the alcohol is well integrated. The fruit is super concentrated and the oak lends the right amount of vanillin to pull it all together. Low tannin presence makes me think this might not be a long aged wine but I won’t know as I’ll likely consume them all well before I should.

Awesome to hear that you really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!

Justin,

Thanks for the early look into this wine. It’s 100% syrah, correct? Or is it a blend?

How would you compare the tannin structure to numerous SQN’s that you’ve experienced? Less than or equal to? Just curious to understand your comments a bit more in comparison to his other wines.

Cheers!

2014 - 90% Graciano, 10% Mourvedre
2015 - 88% Graciano, 7% Mourvedre, 5% Petite Sirah

Thanks, Buzz - I’m just not that ‘in the know’ champagne.gif

And I’m surprised that you haven’t posted a picture of one of these open yet - you slacking on us or did I miss it? [snort.gif]

Cheers!

I’ve found that SQN’s wines, over the past 5-7 vintages, are less accessible in their youth as his earlier releases. They’ve been showing much less fruit and are way more coiled then the wines made pre 2008. Not sure if the Third Twin is more accessible given the varietal (Graciano) or the youth of the vines or the oak treatment but the wine showed amazing purity of fruit and the oak was well integrated. It was extremely easy to drink even with a simple pop and pour with a minimal decant while consuming. Overall, much less austere than current SQN releases of which the Chimere seems to be the most austere but not surprising given the varietal (Mourvedre). I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest opening a TT sooner than later and checking it out in it’s youth.

Justin - thanks. I am ignorant on Graciano. What would you compare it to, flavor profile wise? Looking forward to trying mine now.

Justin,

Which vintage did you open? These are coming as a two-vintage box, right?

Thanks,
fred