Aligoté in the warmer years

One of the value propositions, for mine, is Aligoté in the warmer years. 2015 suits the variety perfectly. You get extra dimension and richness, whilst maintaining strict posture and freshness. A Ramonet '15 Bouzeron was splendid during the week, completely over-shadowing the Bourgogne Chardonnay. de Villaine’s '15 Bouzeron is a lovely drink. Benoit Ente’s '15 Aligoté is seriously good and we have hooked through quite a bit of Lucien-Jacob, Domaine du Cerberon and Jean Fournier '15’s at home of late (these three producers we direct import).

Loved bachelet’s 15.

yup, great value for sure

Meh, you’ll have to convince me. The couple times I had an aligote was like a freekin acid trip on steroids.

I’m convinced! [tease.gif]

Makes total sense. Sounds like barbera, a high-acid wine I like best in warmish years like '13 and '15.

Any comments on Audoin’s Aligoté? I love the De Villaine Bouzeron but it’s up to $38 locally (2016). The Audoin is $20 (2017). Supposedly from very old Marsannay vines.

It’s a nice wine, but the fireworks chez Audoin for whites really begin with the white Marsannay bottlings.

Agree that the Ramonet example is excellent!

'15 is also a strong year for Lafarge’s Raisins d’Orées.

It is nice to see a bit more aspiration with Aligoté in Burgundy. Often the wine’s low prestige has seen it over-cropped, picked prematurely and fermented and raised in steel, with rapid bottling after sterile filtration, resulting in a vicious cycle. When it is treated like fine Chardonnay, it gives much more interesting results.

How would such vintages impact its ability to age?

Does it benefit from time in wood? Does Villaine use wood?

Yes, de Villaine uses foudres, Ramonet and Lafarge use used barrels. So does d’Auvenay, needless to say.

Since it is a high acid white, my sense is that it benefits from extended lees contact.

pataille’s single parcel aligotes are fantastic and see some extended time on the lees. not sure the 15s have been released yet, but i am sure they will be great.