Domaine Prieuré Roch

2014 Domaine Prieuré Roch Ladoix Le Cloud - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Ladoix (2/9/2019)

Ladoix Le Cloud is the entry level red Burgundy of Prieuré Roch. Showing gorgeous clean red currant and earth aromas. Highly aromatic, mouthfilling and bursting on the palate with wild pure pinot fruit. Very exciting, different and delicious!!

Posted from CellarTracker

I bought six bottles of NSG VV 2012. Opened a couple of bottles for a group, and loved the nose although less interesting on the palate. Both bottles were drunk within fifteen minutes of opening. Impressed enough to buy six more bottles.

Opened the third bottle and this time it as just my wife and me. Same thing, great for fifteen minutes, but then the wine began to collapse, slowly at first, then picking up pace. By the forty minute mark, it had almost completely dead, and within the hour, it was. Don’t remember a young wine that fell apart so quickly. Sherry Lehman took back the second six bottles, as it fell within the 90 day period they accept returns (totally ridiculous policy) but refused to take back the remaining here as it fell just outside the period. Luckily Prieur Roch is a cult producer in Europe, so had no difficulty disposing of the remaining three. But that is one producer I will steer well clear of.

Had problems with the 1999 Vosne-Romanée Le Clos Goillotte unbalanced and undrinkable a few years after release. Further not much experience with Prieuré Roch wines hard to find, this Ladoix Le Cloud was Delicious!!

one word re this domaine: overpriced.

My only problem with this winery is the overt stemminess. Maybe it fades with age.

In France these are not expensive wines, but in the US the prices are crazy and I would not be surprised to see them go higher given his untimely passing.

Yannick Champ co-director of DPR about whole bunch harvesting,

http://domaine-prieure-roch.com/en/accueil/la-vigne/dans-le-chai/nos-choix/reception/

Right on… [cheers.gif]

I rarely see them written about in Europe - someone told me it is mainly Asia driving pricing, due to the link with Romanee-Conti. Never tried one of their ones before.

this used to be very undervalued in the states. the previous importer was closing out cases of 05 and 06 with which included clos de beze, clos goillotte, etc for next to nothing.

oddly enough i thought the prices i saw were very reasonable in tokyo for this stuff. usually it seems on the high side when i am in france.

A recent vintage of the basic white embodied most of the negative stereotypes of “natural” wines, just awful. I like a lot of “natural” wines, but wines like this are what give them a bad reputation.

i have never had any of the whites but can imagine they are a creation of yannick champ. the most recent vintages seem to be the most natural. the old stuff made by pacalet can be pretty rustic.

Well, as sad as it is, HF Roch passed away several months ago … I have no idea what will happen to this domaine.

The main reason why this producers is/was so expensive (in the US) is he was the co-gerant of DRC, nephew of Lalou Bize-Leroy.
He also bought (leased?) some parcels formely owned by DRC, Les Suchots and I think also the Clos Goillotte.
I´ve had a handful of wines over the years, no excitements, more disapointments, some wines were ok … some quite developed for their age …
the Clos Goillotte is a Village site, quite a simple terroir, usually over-oaked masking almost everything below … not very intersting and not worth the 70-80 Euro asked for it.
The Chambertin Clos de Beze 2001 was not bad at all … but I just had obe glass, didn´t have to buy abottle …

Sadly they have a policy of not allowing any press visits, even just for personal interest. I have had some great bottles, disappointing bottles and atrocious bottles, sometimes of the same cuvée. They seem especially fragile to any kind of transit trauma or temperature.

As far as I´m concerned sulfor is extremely low, only one treatment when racking, that´s it - none at bottling …

No, pricing is high at the domaine. They sell the NSG 1er to private customers for about eur 150/btl.

About the same for the 2012 here in the US.