TN: 1990 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

• 1990 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/9/2019)
    Popped and poured. Pristine cork. Garnet color with paler rim. Nose of cassis, cedar, black currant, fecund earth. Delicious on the palate, allowing red and black currant fruit to surface for the first hour, then adding complexity with mocha, beef blood, ripe red plum, tobacco, and graphite over time. Softened tannin and moderate acidity. Longer finish of lithe darker fruit over stone. This bottle showed young and was still improving 3 hours after opening. Well-stored bottles might benefit from a short decant. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Doug, thank you for sharing this note…I bought a pair of these back in 2007 and opened one immediately. I didn’t realize how young it would show at 17 years…but based on my singular experience and your note I’d be surprised if this didn’t show well into it’s 40th or 50th birthday.

Kirk,

I would not be surprised! This bottle seemed to be just getting started. Just the thing for a rare snowy night in Seattle.

Cheers,
Doug

I’ve had some bottle variation in a case I’m working through—one example with pretty strong Brett and one other that wasn’t quite as stunning as the rest, but all have been enjoyable. The best bottles are incredible and could go for decades. Tasted one bottle against a 2000 that was just about as good but is best left to age for at another decade or so.

Mark,

I have some of the 2000 also and was thinking about trying one, but agree, those bottles need to sleep a long time.

Cheers,
Doug

I have a double mag of the ‘90. Looks like many moons for it to be ready.

Still—VERY good today—unlike some other 2000’s that just aren’t ready. If I only had a couple I’d hold, but I also tend to like things more evolved. I promise you won’t regret it if you drink one now. Basically a good problem to have. You can’t go wrong. champagne.gif

Kelly,

A double mag is a bottle size I have not owned - you may well be right.

Mark,

Since I have 6 of the 2000 perhaps some research is in order. Thanks for the recco.

Cheers,
Doug