Napa Picnic Supplies

All,

My wife and I will be tasting in Napa Friday for the first time in a few years. We’re spending our day on and around Spring Mountain.

We’re staying at the Westin Verasa in Downtown Napa.

So, three questions:

1. What’s the best place between the Westin and Spring Mountain to grab picnic supplies?
  2. How much time should we allow for the drive trom the hotel to Smith-Madrone
  3. If we have a decent gap between our early visits and Stony Hill, on the Calistoga side, in tbe early afternoon, what non-tasting thing should we do?

Thanks as always for the guidance.

This place is fantastic. Incredible sandwiches.

Dean and Deluca in St. Helena has all the picnic supplies one could hope for, will cost you though.

oakville grocery

That’s an option for sure but Sunshine Grocery is miles above it in quality.

• infinity

We usually rent a house a few blocks from Sunshine.

Have you tried Google maps?

I did but wasn’t sure (1) about local construction/traffic I’ve read about and (2) whether Google accounts for slower mountain roads.

If you are going from the Westin, up to St. Helena to Sunshine Foods, and on up Spring Mountain, I’d allow 90 minutes.

I have to give a big thumbs up to Sunshine foods. Really reasonable prices and great selection and some of the most interesting selection of sandwiches.

Another recommendation for Sunshine Foods. Figure about 30 minutes from your hotel to the market and another 25 minutes from the market to Smith-Madrone.

Sunshine Market would be fine, but again, traffic in Napa County has gotten really bad and since it is on a Friday/workday, you need extra time to get to places or map out back roads. Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail can become a nightmare. A left turn across traffic can take 3 to 4 minutes unless somebody lets you turn.

It tracks cell signal data from phones moving in cars, so it’s very reality-based. On roads where the speed of the road is above the speed limit, it bases times on that. And it crunches data by time of day so congestion is factored in.

Take the trail from Napa to Pope St. Turn left on Pope, it hits Hwy29 right at Sunshine Foods and the intersection is controlled by a traffic light.

This is not an understatement.

Contrarian point of view: if you’re staying at the Westin, just walk over to Oxbow and grab vittles there. Then if traffic is bad you can get straight onto Silverado Trail and go all the way up the valley before cutting over in St. Helena. Be forewarned, it’s supposed to rain on and off all of next week, so make backup plans for a picnic if the weather sucks.

That’s a good call, Kyle. If one can avoid downtown St. Helena so much the better.

There’s not much in the way of sandwiches and salads inside Oxbow, but lots of cheeses and the like. Fatted Calf around the corner from Oxbow is good for that and Model Bakery next door for sweets.

Fatted Calf/Model Bakery/Taylor’s/etc. are actually all part of Oxbow. Fun fact, the guy behind Oxbow is also the guy who led Oakville Grocery for a long time.

The way our weather has been, I’d decide where to have lunch, unless you plan on a picnic in your car with the heat blasting! 25-30 degrees in the morning, rainy, and not above 45 all day has been our norm.