Napa Picnic Supplies

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Napa Picnic Supplies

#1 Post by JeremyMullman » February 9th, 2019, 4:44 am

All,

My wife and I will be tasting in Napa Friday for the first time in a few years. We’re spending our day on and around Spring Mountain.

We’re staying at the Westin Verasa in Downtown Napa.

So, three questions:

1) What’s the best place between the Westin and Spring Mountain to grab picnic supplies?
2) How much time should we allow for the drive trom the hotel to Smith-Madrone
3) If we have a decent gap between our early visits and Stony Hill, on the Calistoga side, in tbe early afternoon, what non-tasting thing should we do?

Thanks as always for the guidance.
Last edited by JeremyMullman on February 12th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Napa Picnic Supplies

#2 Post by Leonard Taylor » February 9th, 2019, 4:56 am

This place is fantastic. Incredible sandwiches.
https://www.sunshinefoodsmarket.com/
Leonard Taylor

Rob Weaver
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Rob Weaver » February 9th, 2019, 5:59 am

Dean and Deluca in St. Helena has all the picnic supplies one could hope for, will cost you though.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 9th, 2019, 6:17 am

oakville grocery

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Leonard Taylor » February 9th, 2019, 6:19 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:17 am
oakville grocery
That's an option for sure but Sunshine Grocery is miles above it in quality.
Leonard Taylor

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Scott Brunson » February 9th, 2019, 6:25 am

Leonard Taylor wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:19 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:17 am
oakville grocery
That's an option for sure but Sunshine Grocery is miles above it in quality.
+ infinity

We usually rent a house a few blocks from Sunshine.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Morris » February 9th, 2019, 7:10 am

JeremyMullman wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:44 am
Have you tried Google maps?
"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." – me, 2018

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by JeremyMullman » February 9th, 2019, 7:51 am

John Morris wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:10 am
JeremyMullman wrote:
I did but wasn’t sure (1) about local construction/traffic I’ve read about and (2) whether Google accounts for slower mountain roads.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 9th, 2019, 8:23 am

If you are going from the Westin, up to St. Helena to Sunshine Foods, and on up Spring Mountain, I'd allow 90 minutes.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by lleichtman » February 9th, 2019, 9:02 am

Leonard Taylor wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:56 am
This place is fantastic. Incredible sandwiches.
https://www.sunshinefoodsmarket.com/
I have to give a big thumbs up to Sunshine foods. Really reasonable prices and great selection and some of the most interesting selection of sandwiches.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by T Welch » February 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Another recommendation for Sunshine Foods. Figure about 30 minutes from your hotel to the market and another 25 minutes from the market to Smith-Madrone.
T*R*U*E*T*T - ITB

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Randy Bowman » February 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Sunshine Market would be fine, but again, traffic in Napa County has gotten really bad and since it is on a Friday/workday, you need extra time to get to places or map out back roads. Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail can become a nightmare. A left turn across traffic can take 3 to 4 minutes unless somebody lets you turn.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by John Morris » February 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm

JeremyMullman wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:51 am
John Morris wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:10 am
JeremyMullman wrote:
I did but wasn’t sure (1) about local construction/traffic I’ve read about and (2) whether Google accounts for slower mountain roads.
It tracks cell signal data from phones moving in cars, so it's very reality-based. On roads where the speed of the road is above the speed limit, it bases times on that. And it crunches data by time of day so congestion is factored in.
"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." – me, 2018

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian Tuite » February 10th, 2019, 7:04 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Sunshine Market would be fine, but again, traffic in Napa County has gotten really bad and since it is on a Friday/workday, you need extra time to get to places or map out back roads. Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail can become a nightmare. A left turn across traffic can take 3 to 4 minutes unless somebody lets you turn.
Take the trail from Napa to Pope St. Turn left on Pope, it hits Hwy29 right at Sunshine Foods and the intersection is controlled by a traffic light.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Marc Hauser

#15 Post by Marc Hauser » February 10th, 2019, 7:50 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm
This is not an understatement.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

KyleC

#16 Post by KyleC » February 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Contrarian point of view: if you're staying at the Westin, just walk over to Oxbow and grab vittles there. Then if traffic is bad you can get straight onto Silverado Trail and go all the way up the valley before cutting over in St. Helena. Be forewarned, it's supposed to rain on and off all of next week, so make backup plans for a picnic if the weather sucks.
C h e n

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by T Welch » February 10th, 2019, 12:48 pm

KyleC wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Contrarian point of view: if you're staying at the Westin, just walk over to Oxbow and grab vittles there. Then if traffic is bad you can get straight onto Silverado Trail and go all the way up the valley before cutting over in St. Helena. Be forewarned, it's supposed to rain on and off all of next week, so make backup plans for a picnic if the weather sucks.
That's a good call, Kyle. If one can avoid downtown St. Helena so much the better.
T*R*U*E*T*T - ITB

Marc Hauser

#18 Post by Marc Hauser » February 10th, 2019, 1:19 pm

T Welch wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 12:48 pm
KyleC wrote:
That's a good call, Kyle. If one can avoid downtown St. Helena so much the better.
There’s not much in the way of sandwiches and salads inside Oxbow, but lots of cheeses and the like. Fatted Calf around the corner from Oxbow is good for that and Model Bakery next door for sweets.

KyleC

#19 Post by KyleC » February 10th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Marc Hauser wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 1:19 pm
T Welch wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 12:48 pm
KyleC wrote:
There’s not much in the way of sandwiches and salads inside Oxbow, but lots of cheeses and the like. Fatted Calf around the corner from Oxbow is good for that and Model Bakery next door for sweets.
Fatted Calf/Model Bakery/Taylor's/etc. are actually all part of Oxbow. Fun fact, the guy behind Oxbow is also the guy who led Oakville Grocery for a long time.
C h e n

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 12th, 2019, 8:53 am

The way our weather has been, I'd decide where to have lunch, unless you plan on a picnic in your car with the heat blasting! 25-30 degrees in the morning, rainy, and not above 45 all day has been our norm.
Merrill

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by JeremyMullman » February 12th, 2019, 10:45 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 8:53 am
The way our weather has been, I'd decide where to have lunch, unless you plan on a picnic in your car with the heat blasting! 25-30 degrees in the morning, rainy, and not above 45 all day has been our norm.
Thanks, Merrill. Much appreciated (although, as a Chicagoan, it doesn't sound *that* bad.)

One of our winery hosts just offered to let us "picnic" inside, so I think we found a solution.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 12th, 2019, 10:59 am

JeremyMullman wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 10:45 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Thanks, Merrill. Much appreciated (although, as a Chicagoan, it doesn't sound *that* bad.)

One of our winery hosts just offered to let us "picnic" inside, so I think we found a solution.
Excellent!
Merrill

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 13th, 2019, 11:13 am

The weather is bad here, and the forecast is for more of the same. There is so much rain coming down from the hillsides that it is causing some flooded streets - particularly where people don't clear out their drains that are filled with leaves. I am not leaving my place on the Valley floor today - both ends of my small street have "flooded signs" and I always monitor how high the ditches fill - the ones on Pickett Road (3 dwellings down from my place) were at capacity when I went out to check a couple of hours ago. Hate to be "Debbie Downer," but if you want a Napa Valley experience, you might want to alter your plans.
Merrill

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Leonard Taylor » February 13th, 2019, 11:44 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 11:13 am
The weather is bad here, and the forecast is for more of the same. There is so much rain coming down from the hillsides that it is causing some flooded streets - particularly where people don't clear out their drains that are filled with leaves. I am not leaving my place on the Valley floor today - both ends of my small street have "flooded signs" and I always monitor how high the ditches fill - the ones on Pickett Road (3 dwellings down from my place) were at capacity when I went out to check a couple of hours ago. Hate to be "Debbie Downer," but if you want a Napa Valley experience, you might want to alter your plans.
Sounds like an experience to me.
Leonard Taylor

Nathan Smyth

#25 Post by Nathan Smyth » February 13th, 2019, 12:16 pm

John Morris wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm
It tracks cell signal data from phones moving in cars, so it's very reality-based.
Why don't you people just go ahead and give them your first born children?

[On second thought, maybe I shouldn't go putting the idea in your heads...]

Marc Hauser

#26 Post by Marc Hauser » February 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm

JeremyMullman wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 10:45 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:

Jeremy, it's funny to hear you say that, because I moved to Napa over a year ago from decades in Chicago, and I always laugh when I hear locals concerned about the weather because it's raining. Indeed, the temple here in Napa yesterday cancelled Hebrew school for today due to the rain forecast.

But, Merrill is right - as much as it's just rain, the flooding can get really bad.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 13th, 2019, 6:14 pm

If the roads are closing, which is expected, you might be stuck at the Westin.
Merrill

Jeremy Holmes

#28 Post by Jeremy Holmes » February 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Sunshine foods is excellent.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Craig G » February 13th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Can you still buy Della Fattoria bread at stores (other than their cafe/bakery in Petaluma)? And if so, who carries it?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Randy Bowman » February 13th, 2019, 8:34 pm

The Napa River is expected to crest and flood on Thursday, through late Friday. The Westin is on the Napa River and was built to weather flooding, though vehicles in their parking lot may join the river. Just south of the Westin is the new flood bypass channel, which is already starting to flood. If the channel and the river can't handle the drainage, the river will breach the banks along Wall St. and Northbay Dr., flowing west and flooding Soscol Ave. The parking area of the Westin will go under water next. With all the work that has been done to mitigate flooding, I'm thinking/hoping it won't get as bad as 86, 2000 or 2002. We've already had enough rain to have created the floods of 2000 and 2002. If we do flood, the work done will have minimized the amount and allow for a much quicker draining of flooded areas.

Use Google Earth to view the Westin and the bypass. Hopefully everything works out but the Westin is damn near in the center.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

KyleC

#31 Post by KyleC » February 13th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 8:34 pm
The Napa River is expected to crest and flood on Thursday, through late Friday. The Westin is on the Napa River and was built to weather flooding, though vehicles in their parking lot may join the river. Just south of the Westin is the new flood bypass channel, which is already starting to flood. If the channel and the river can't handle the drainage, the river will breach the banks along Wall St. and Northbay Dr., flowing west and flooding Soscol Ave. The parking area of the Westin will go under water next. With all the work that has been done to mitigate flooding, I'm thinking/hoping it won't get as bad as 86, 2000 or 2002. We've already had enough rain to have created the floods of 2000 and 2002. If we do flood, the work done will have minimized the amount and allow for a much quicker draining of flooded areas.

Use Google Earth to view the Westin and the bypass. Hopefully everything works out but the Westin is damn near in the center.
A friend drove by and he said the flood gates were closed as of this evening. It isn't supposed to be worse than the last time they used the Oxbow bypass in 2016 so downtown is expected to be fine.
C h e n

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 16th, 2019, 8:50 am

So, how did the trip, picnic supply purchasing, and picnicking go? What a miserable few days here in Calistoga. Hope you were able to enjoy. I was not!
Merrill

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by JeremyMullman » February 16th, 2019, 8:58 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 8:50 am
So, how did the trip, picnic supply purchasing, and picnicking go? What a miserable few days here in Calistoga. Hope you were able to enjoy. I was not!
Alas, my wife got sick so we postponed. Hopefully to a week with better weather!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#34 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 17th, 2019, 8:32 am

Sorry your wife got sick...but trust me, you did not miss anything up here in Napa Valley during those days. We have so much good weather during the year, I wish for all tourists/travelers to be here when we have it.
Merrill

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by JeremyMullman » February 17th, 2019, 10:18 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 8:32 am
Sorry your wife got sick...but trust me, you did not miss anything up here in Napa Valley during those days. We have so much good weather during the year, I wish for all tourists/travelers to be here when we have it.
Thx! I know the wine will still be there --and the weather will be better-- when we return. Which we will. Soon.

The weather would have been especially painful with all those Spring Mountain sites --Smith-Madrone, Stony Hill, Paloma-- with beautiful views we wouldn't have been able to see.

Return to “Wine Talk”