Zachy's Storage in DC

Anyone ever have any success storing wine there or just getting them to return emails when asked for estimates? I tried about a month ago and the first person I dealt with went silent. Then I emailed again, got a call back and was promised an estimate the same day. That was 6 days ago. I’ll probably call and give them one last chance since they pretty much have what I want at a reasonable price.

1 Like

Hey Bob, I just sent you an email via WB. Let’s chat soon!

3 Likes

Problem solved thanks to Ian and Tim. Looking forward to doing business in the near future.

Glad we could help!

As many of you already know, Zachys’ DC outpost has pretty much shutdown its retail operation as of the beginning of this month and the status of its DC wine storage business also is in a state of uncertainty. I have stored my wine at the Zachys DC facility since it first opened several years ago and thus, I am concerned about the future status of this facility, especially given the lack of alternative storage options in the DC metro area.

My concern was heightened by an e-mail that I received yesterday from Zachys storage manager in NYC which said that the operating hours for the DC storage facility would be reduced to Tuesday - Friday. This comes after they already recently eliminated their Saturday hours. Not a good sign for future operations. In response to this e-mail I asked the Zachys storage manager (i) if I could continue to have wine shipments sent directly to the Zachys DC storage facility and (ii) what is the current status of the DC storage facility since in my prior conversations with them they said that they were considering subleasing the storage warehouse to another storage company.

In response to my questions, the Zachys wine storage manager told me that I could continue to have my wine shipped directly the Zachys DC storage facility but only if I had someone there to receive the shipment. Apparently, they no longer will sign for client wine shipments, effectively making it very difficult to ship wine to that location. He also said that they are still in the process of trying to sublease the DC wine storage facility and that they should have more certainty regarding this issue in early September.

So to my knowledge, that’s where we currently stand with the status of the Zachys DC wine storage facility. I am trying to revive this thread to share what I know and to encourage others to do the same during this uncertain time.

I got several non-specific answers back in May that even the Zach’s rep thought I ought to look elsewhere. Luckily Domaine was able to pick up, store, and deliver. Totally flawless operation.

Good to hear Bob. Unfortunately, when I called Domaine a few weeks ago they said that they were all filled up and had a waiting list.

Permanent or temporary storage?. I only needed them for less than 2 months.

Hi everyone! If you need assistance moving any wine collections from storage in DC, C3 is happy to help! We’ve been working in the industry for almost 9 years and have relationships with all of the aforementioned businesses. C3 Transportation is fully temperature controlled at cellar temperatures, licensed, and insured. Every shipment is under video surveillance, temperature is monitored at all times, and our vehicles are tracked, providing the utmost security to protect your collection in transit.

We’re based in Westchester, NY and would love to work together. Check us out at c3transports.com, shoot us an email at info@c3transports.com, or give us a ring: 872.529.2238.

2 Likes

Can thoroughly recommend Mike and his company.

Domaine DC has been full / waiting list for quite a while, but note that you can easily transfer to/from Domaine NY that has space and the DC location. They run temperature-controlled transit between the two every 4-6 weeks it seems and the charge at $35/case is reasonable.

Domaine NY has in/out fees that still apply in addition so it may not work if your actively moving things in/out, but I’ve relocated all my longer-term storage up there and keep the short-term in DC and been quite happy with the arrangement.

1 Like

Hey Rick!

Thanks for shout out. One small correction though, we are running every 2 weeks between DC and NY. We will have a small delay coming up because of Labor Day, but otherwise we are dialed into that.

1 Like

I stand corrected! Wasn’t sure exactly how often they ran so I guessed based on some recent shipments. Should have noted that.

1 Like

Hi Rick,

Totally appreciate that! I’m happy to be able to say that we are doing it faster than that. It took quite a bit of work to get that in place, and we are thrilled it’s been working as well as it has.

Very much appreciate that Mark! We’re happy to help whenever anyone has a need. We can handle the moment we have an opening on our schedule, which at the moment is anytime the week of 9/5, after Labor Day. Happy drinking / storage everyone!

1 Like

FYI - I wanted to let you guys know that I found a new state of the art wine storage facility off Route 1 in the Potomac Yards area of Alexandria, VA. The facility is within the larger Mini-U-Storage self-storage warehouse located at 405 Swann Ave., Alexandria, VA.

Given that Domaine DC is full and that Zachys DC’s wine storage facility is in limbo, I have decided to move my wine to this new facility. Plus it’s super close to my house given that I live in Northern Virginia. I am thrilled to no longer have to cross the river to get my wine!

Here is some info on the facility:

If you are interested, contact the facility’s manager Henry at 703-863-4031.

Also, mention Promo Code ALX2023 to get 50% off your first 6-month’s rent plus an addition 10% off your next 6-month’s rent.

Here’s a pic.

1 Like

Hi all!

I’ve obviously had to keep a tight lip on this conversation, but I’m excited to share that Domaine Wine Storage will be taking over management of the Zachys DC storage!

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please reach out to me!

3 Likes

Does this mean that Domaine DC should have more capacity moving forward? Every time I’ve reached out to them previously they said they don’t have any availability.

Hi Chris,

Yes, that was the reason for this expansion. I can have one of my team fill you in on more details if you like.

congrats!