TN: 2015 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf - Ruppertsberger Gaisböhl Riesling GC (Germany, Pfalz)

Continuing my foray into dry Riesling … seeing as how this was my first experience with this wine, I cannot say if this wine always presents in this manner, or if the vintage was leaving a significant mark here. Either way, I liked it a lot. [cheers.gif]

2015 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Ruppertsberger Gaisböhl Riesling GC - Germany, Pfalz (1/19/2019)
– double-decanted approximately 2 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2.5 hours –

NOSE: medium-light petrol; a bit smoky and musky; hint of celery; peach and lime; complex.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: dry; 13% alc. not noticeable; high acidity; lime; white grapefruit. Seems to be a bit tight on the palate, but is more giving on the Nose. Very enjoyable today, but seems to have the goods to improve greatly in the cellar. Hold. Gut impression score: 91 – 92.

Brian, I’ve had some great past vintages of this wine. I think what I’ve noticed with this specific wine is that in “perfect” growing years it doesn’t seem to show it’s true complexity until around 15+ years…but as you’re clearly noting, it’s still easy to love in the early years as well.

Thanks, Kirk, for that insight. Aaannnnnd, thank you for your TN on this wine – I read it in the store before purchasing, and it’s what sold me on giving this a chance. My only regret is not buying more than 2 …

Thanks for the note. I picked up a bottle from Winex in the Fall, just waiting for Spring shipping season to get it in my hands. FWIW, Winex is still selling it for $30 bucks, which I think is a pretty fat discount compared to what it normally goes for in the States.

That’s where I got my bottles, Daniel. :slight_smile: Killer deal at $30, imo.

$30 for this?!? Crazy deal. You guys are making me spend money.

I don’t have as much experience with past vintages as Kirk, but I have also found that this rewards aging to a great extent. In my mind, this is one of the only producers in Germany whose top dry wines seem to almost require it.

Doug pretty much nailed my views on this…I will age these longer than many other wines I think may actually be the better wine; because they demand it for optimal enjoyment. I’m damn near certain that I’ll have long-ago drank all my Wittmann GG’s when these are still in the cellar a decade+ from now.