Best Vintages of Clos Rougeard?

I have the opportunity to purchase some Clos Rougeard. It being so rare, I don’t have a huge database of vintage tasting notes. That’s where im hoping the berserkers can help.

I’ll be purchasing Vintages from the past ten years or so, but am happy to hear your thoughts on all past Vintages.

The 2010s are fantastic

2005 is fantastic
2010 is fantastic

2011 and 2007 are quite fine

I’ve enjoyed the 2004, but that was 5 years ago. I’d be curious to hear what vintages you have to chose from, it might be easier to rate them in order of preference.

Right now, I’m being offered 7,10, 12, 13.

Top recent vintage in descending order: 2010, 2005, 2004, 2007.

Jump on all the 10s you can get, in particular Poyeux. Bourg was not nearly as interesting in 10 when I tasted them side by side.

+1

Also 2007

You should take some of all of them. Each will have it’s own story, and in the long run, to have tasted them all will be more important than just tasting the good one.

1 Like

If you are limited in funds, the vintage that I would skip is 2013. I have not tried a 2013 Rougeard, but I buy a broad spectrum of Loire CF from most vintages, and of the 4 you list, 2013 is unimpressive. I’d grab all the 10 and 07 you can afford.

almost always the case.

Except 11

'00, '04, and '08 Bourg did not drink at same good level as their Poyeux counterpart when drank within 10 years of vintage. However, I expect the Bourg to be better than the Poyeux (even as great as the Poyeux will likely turn out to be) with 20+ years of cellar time.

My small sample experience is that the pecking order rules with Rougeard. Last year, '08 Saumur (Le Clos?) is drinking > '08 Poyeux, but still find the Poyeux more compelling albeit young.

I’m not as convinced. That’s a lot of oak to integrate. I’ve never had a Bourg where I thought that had happened though the oldest I’ve had was only about 20 years old.

The 1996 is quite nicely integrated.

1 Like

Even though you’re not being offered it, 2009 has to be part of the conversation here. My own top-three ranking would be 2005, 2009, 2010. In 2013 and 2011, the best wine they made was the Brézé.

2007 and 2009 are both very special vintages for Bourg. I took a leak in the vineyard both years.

For some folks, the Brézé is the best wine full stop. I wonder if the new owners will auction off the old stock, especially the crazy moelleux whites?

I don’t believe the old stock was part of the deal.

If these are on offer I’d place them in this order.

10 - It’s the best vintage of them all.
7 - It’s the vintage I’d buy if I wanted to drink one right now.
12 - it’s a wine that will be ready in a few years
13 - I’ve liked the 13’s less than the 12’s so this fell in last place.

No love for 02?