CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
James Billy
Posts: 749
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm

CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#1 Post by James Billy » February 6th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I just noticed that cellar tracker now has 2 options 'where to buy' linked to each wine: Wine-Searcher and Vivino.

I'm rather surprised as I would have thought that Vivino was a direct rival to CT and sending users there might end up losing them.

I guess the dollars add up and this is an extra revenue earner for CT, but it wasn't something I was expecting. Quite the opposite [scratch.gif]

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#2 Post by Steve Gautier » February 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm

I was also surprised to see this. I like the update were you see the lowest price on Wine Searcher without clicking through.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Ian H
Posts: 135
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#3 Post by Ian H » February 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm

James Billy wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 4:23 pm
I just noticed that cellar tracker now has 2 options 'where to buy' linked to each wine: Wine-Searcher and Vivino.

I'm rather surprised as I would have thought that Vivino was a direct rival to CT and sending users there might end up losing them.

I guess the dollars add up and this is an extra revenue earner for CT, but it wasn't something I was expecting. Quite the opposite [scratch.gif]
Agree it's a rival in a sense, but Vivino can't hold a candle to CT. Vivino is like single A ball, CT is the show. And I haven't thought about the economics or business side but guessing this makes sense for CT (and vice versa for Vivino) otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
@@S

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#4 Post by Ron Slye » February 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I am not sure that there is much direct competition. First, unless I am mistaken, Vivino does not provide a cellar inventory service. That is what first attracted me, and many others, to CT. Second, there is another thread somewhere (I can't remember if it is on here or the CT discussion page) comparing CT and Vivino tasting notes. I really do not have enough experience with Vivino to comment on this, but others have observed that the quality of tasting notes (and perhaps accuracy) is higher (or for some much higher), than Vivino. Finally, CT operates mostly on a voluntary pay system that is in fact based on the number of bottles you have in their inventory system. I think it is unlikely that someone who, through the link you mentioned, comes across Vivino for the first time, will drop CT. But perhaps there is a greater risk of that than I think -- though I still can't believe it would be enough to seriously affect CT which, again, is not set up to maximize revenue.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#5 Post by Ron Slye » February 6th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm
I was also surprised to see this. I like the update were you see the lowest price on Wine Searcher without clicking through.
Yes! I like that too! It is only because of this thread that I clicked on Vivino on a wine for which a tasting note just popped up in my feed (another feature that Vivino does not have). There were three tasting notes (this is 1998 Viader), one of which seemed to be from CT, and the others were fine, though not particularly helpful.

Edit. By the way, on that 1998 Viader, the Wine Searcher price that pops up now on CT is $49 (I did not click through). The price when I clicked through to Vivino was $129. Does not make me want to explore Vivino too much more.

dougwilder
Posts: 985
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 6:15 am
Location: Napa/Sonoma/San Francisco

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#6 Post by dougwilder » February 6th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Somehow I have started getting emails from Vivino and they take quite a bit of license to establish the pedigree of a wine to the point of sensationalism.
itb

James Billy
Posts: 749
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#7 Post by James Billy » February 6th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 4:35 pm
I was also surprised to see this. I like the update were you see the lowest price on Wine Searcher without clicking through.
Yes very interesting.

Given the unbelievably detailed knowledge CT has about our purchasing and consumption of wine, I'm sure there will be a lot more developments like this in the future. This data must be gold dust!

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#8 Post by Eric LeVine » February 6th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Hi all, yes yesterday afternoon we quietly launched a new feature where we are testing some integration with Vivino.

Basically, wherever we used to just render one WHERE TO BUY link to take you to Wine-Searcher, now we potentially will offer two links, one for Wine-Searcher and one for Vivino. We will only offer the Vivino button if they know that they have an offer for that specific wine. If they have the exact vintage, we render a price inside of the Vivino button. If they have an offer for another vintage, we still render the Vivino button but not a price. (If you click through, they have a pretty clear user experience for this latter case.) If Vivino has nothing to offer, we only show a full-width Wine-Searcher button. We also also now experimenting with the Wine-Searcher API to ask them for the price. If they return a price, then we render that inside of their button. It's pretty cool, because you can arrow down in your cellar and get a quick bit of insight into retail availability and pricing.
Where to Buy before-after.png
As to the commentary about CellarTracker versus Vivino, we are in very, very different businesses. CellarTracker is subscription software. That is the core of our business and is very long-term focused. Call that the CAKE. Our frosting is that we (a) show ads to people who are not registered or logged in and (b) we direct affiliate traffic to Wine-Searcher and now Vivino. Again, this is frosting, a really thin layer of frosting. Our main reason for showing WHERE TO BUY buttons is to make it easy for you to find a wine if you are excited about it after reading tasting notes or want to add more to your cellar etc. I hope you all agree that we are not pushy when it comes to commerce. Vivino meanwhile has announced quite loudly that their goal is to sell a BILLION dollars of wine by 2020. They are in the commerce and lead generation business. So this is a natural area to partner where there is benefit for you and for each Vivino and CellarTracker.

The aforementioned thread on Vivino and CellarTracker is in my forum here: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=463840

By the way, for the privacy minded among you, the calls to the Wine-Searcher and Vivino API are server to server. We never pass them your IP address. Rather, we do our own local GeoIP lookup based on your IP and only pass broad regional parameters to the partner API's to get locally geared price and availability. Obviously if you click through to their websites, at that point they have their own cookies and intelligence about you.

Let us know what you think!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1120
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#9 Post by Mike Maguire » February 6th, 2019, 5:15 pm

[thumbs-up.gif]

User avatar
Ian H
Posts: 135
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#10 Post by Ian H » February 6th, 2019, 5:15 pm

dougwilder wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 4:54 pm
Somehow I have started getting emails from Vivino and they take quite a bit of license to establish the pedigree of a wine to the point of sensationalism.
Agree. It's marketing all the way, and probably clever marketing at that. I know people who use Vivino. But also at times it can be a little ridiculous. They'll have a score for a wine they're trying to sell, of say 96 or 98. Pretty rare air. This must be the best wine ever! The score will be accompanied be a quote that would lead you to believe it's some wine tasting OG rating the wine. It's usually attributed to some somm that you wouldn't have heard of. Now, it's probably a real person and a real impression, from somebody that probably has training, and has consumed a lot of wine. Or not. But, it's something I do ignore.
@@S

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#11 Post by Steve Gautier » February 6th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 5:10 pm
Hi all, yes yesterday afternoon we quietly launched a new feature where we are testing some integration with Vivino.

Basically, wherever we used to just render one WHERE TO BUY link to take you to Wine-Searcher, now we potentially will offer two links, one for Wine-Searcher and one for Vivino. We will only offer the Vivino button if they know that they have an offer for that specific wine. If they have the exact vintage, we render a price inside of the Vivino button. If they have an offer for another vintage, we still render the Vivino button but not a price. (If you click through, they have a pretty clear user experience for this latter case.) If Vivino has nothing to offer, we only show a full-width Wine-Searcher button. We also also now experimenting with the Wine-Searcher API to ask them for the price. If they return a price, then we render that inside of their button. It's pretty cool, because you can arrow down in your cellar and get a quick bit of insight into retail availability and pricing.

Where to Buy before-after.png

As to the commentary about CellarTracker versus Vivino, we are in very, very different businesses. CellarTracker is subscription software. That is the core of our business and is very long-term focused. Call that the CAKE. Our frosting is that we (a) show ads to people who are not registered or logged in and (b) we direct affiliate traffic to Wine-Searcher and now Vivino. Again, this is frosting, a really thin layer of frosting. Our main reason for showing WHERE TO BUY buttons is to make it easy for you to find a wine if you are excited about it after reading tasting notes or want to add more to your cellar etc. I hope you all agree that we are not pushy when it comes to commerce. Vivino meanwhile has announced quite loudly that their goal is to sell a BILLION dollars of wine by 2020. They are in the commerce and lead generation business. So this is a natural area to partner where there is benefit for you and for each Vivino and CellarTracker.

The aforementioned thread on Vivino and CellarTracker is in my forum here: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=463840

By the way, for the privacy minded among you, the calls to the Wine-Searcher and Vivino API are server to server. We never pass them your IP address. Rather, we do our own local GeoIP lookup based on your IP and only pass broad regional parameters to the partner API's to get locally geared price and availability. Obviously if you click through to their websites, at that point they have their own cookies and intelligence about you.

Let us know what you think!
I think I am seeing the Vivino button even if they don’t have something to offer.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#12 Post by Eric LeVine » February 6th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Steve, feel free to send us a note with examples to support@cellartracker.com or post in OUR support forum. We call their API and pass them our wine name. They are only supposed to come back if they have a match.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#13 Post by Steve Gautier » February 6th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Steve, feel free to send us a note with examples to support@cellartracker.com or post in OUR support forum. We call their API and pass them our wine name. They are only supposed to come back if they have a match.
Eric - I just posted it in the support forum. I am not real familiar with Vivino so I might be missing something.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 93
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#14 Post by Philip G » February 6th, 2019, 6:21 pm

I like this too! Very nice feature. Assuming you get a click-through kickback for purchases which is a good way to capitalize on the good service and product you are providing.
---------
Dr Good

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#15 Post by Ron Slye » February 6th, 2019, 6:56 pm

I am all in favor as well. For all the reasons you say Eric it is useful to be able to easily find market availability and price on a wine for possible purchase.

User avatar
Mattstolz
Posts: 1046
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#16 Post by Mattstolz » February 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Doesn’t Vivino already provide the label search for CT? Seems like a logical next step

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 93
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#17 Post by Philip G » February 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Doesn’t Vivino already provide the label search for CT? Seems like a logical next step
I thought CT only did barcode not label search.

The barcode is a bit finicky, not because of CT but I think I read somewhere because of no central barcode assignment.
---------
Dr Good

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6685
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#18 Post by Mark Y » February 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm

I like the price in WS spot

Vivino is pretty useless to me. Prices are always higher than WS anyways. Or sure why I would ever go there? :)
Y.e.

User avatar
Mattstolz
Posts: 1046
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#19 Post by Mattstolz » February 7th, 2019, 2:43 am

Philip G wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Doesn’t Vivino already provide the label search for CT? Seems like a logical next step
I thought CT only did barcode not label search.

The barcode is a bit finicky, not because of CT but I think I read somewhere because of no central barcode assignment.
you can label search with the app, and when you do you get a pop up that tells you its powered by Vivino

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#20 Post by Eric LeVine » February 7th, 2019, 8:24 am

Philip G wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Doesn’t Vivino already provide the label search for CT? Seems like a logical next step
I thought CT only did barcode not label search.

The barcode is a bit finicky, not because of CT but I think I read somewhere because of no central barcode assignment.
We do our own barcode search: https://support.cellartracker.com/artic ... n-barcodes
We added label search, in partnership with Vivino, back in 2015: https://support.cellartracker.com/artic ... bel-search
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 93
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#21 Post by Philip G » February 7th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 8:24 am
Philip G wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Doesn’t Vivino already provide the label search for CT? Seems like a logical next step
I thought CT only did barcode not label search.

The barcode is a bit finicky, not because of CT but I think I read somewhere because of no central barcode assignment.
We do our own barcode search: https://support.cellartracker.com/artic ... n-barcodes
We added label search, in partnership with Vivino, back in 2015: https://support.cellartracker.com/artic ... bel-search
Yup, right there in front of me [oops.gif]
---------
Dr Good

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 93
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#22 Post by Philip G » February 8th, 2019, 6:35 am

I find that about half the time if their is a price in the Vivino box and I click on it the website then says they don't sell that wine. So maybe a lag in the database that the link accesses vs the actual wine in stock? Not a big deal as I don't buy from Vivino anyway.
---------
Dr Good

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#23 Post by Eric LeVine » February 8th, 2019, 7:33 am

Philip G wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 6:35 am
I find that about half the time if their is a price in the Vivino box and I click on it the website then says they don't sell that wine. So maybe a lag in the database that the link accesses vs the actual wine in stock? Not a big deal as I don't buy from Vivino anyway.
Please email us examples of any misses to support@cellartracker.com. We only show the button and the price when their API has just sold us they have something to sell... We pass a country/state based on your IP to them to get relevant local offers, but maybe there is some sort of mismatch there? Please send examples and we can track it down.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#24 Post by Eric LeVine » February 8th, 2019, 7:33 am

Philip G wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 6:35 am
I find that about half the time if their is a price in the Vivino box and I click on it the website then says they don't sell that wine. So maybe a lag in the database that the link accesses vs the actual wine in stock? Not a big deal as I don't buy from Vivino anyway.
Please email us examples of any misses to support@cellartracker.com. We only show the button and the price when their API has just sold us they have something to sell... We pass a country/state based on your IP to them to get relevant local offers, but maybe there is some sort of mismatch there? Please send examples and we can track it down.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#25 Post by Steve Gautier » February 8th, 2019, 7:45 am

Eric - Want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Is it:
- button always shows but a price is only shown in the button if they have something to sell, or
- button and price only show when there is something to sell
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#26 Post by Eric LeVine » February 8th, 2019, 9:47 am

Wine-Searcher button always shows. Price shows when their API has a price to return.

Vivino button is intended to only show when there is an offer. If for that exact vintage then a price is shown. If for another vintage, no price is shown. Dan is looking at their API some more. He may be showing the button when they have a match but no offer which is not intended.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#27 Post by Steve Gautier » February 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:47 am
Wine-Searcher button always shows. Price shows when their API has a price to return.

Vivino button is intended to only show when there is an offer. If for that exact vintage then a price is shown. If for another vintage, no price is shown. Dan is looking at their API some more. He may be showing the button when they have a match but no offer which is not intended.
I have also found situations where they have an offer but the price isn’t listed. If you want me to put another note in the support forum, let me know.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 424
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#28 Post by JDavisRoby » February 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Is this on web on PC only?

The “Where to Buy” button in the iOS apps take me straight to wine-searcher.
Joshu@

James Billy
Posts: 749
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#29 Post by James Billy » February 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Desktop Website only IIRC.

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#30 Post by Eric LeVine » February 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Correct. We have not implemented this in mobile yet.

The "lack of offer" issue was fixed yesterday.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

KyleC
Posts: 97
Joined: October 2nd, 2018, 9:39 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#31 Post by KyleC » February 9th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:47 am
Wine-Searcher button always shows. Price shows when their API has a price to return.

Vivino button is intended to only show when there is an offer. If for that exact vintage then a price is shown. If for another vintage, no price is shown. Dan is looking at their API some more. He may be showing the button when they have a match but no offer which is not intended.
One example here that I just happened to have open while I saw this thread; I've seen a lot more: https://imgur.com/a/NKhBVc5

FWIW, it seems like Vivino's service isn't great. Lots of freshness and data correctness issues, and their coverage is small compared to Wine Searcher. If UX is important, and the affiliate/rev share economics are minimal as you say, I'd wait for improvements from Vivino, before deploying their button.
C h e n

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4692
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#32 Post by cjsavino » February 10th, 2019, 5:28 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Correct. We have not implemented this in mobile yet.

The "lack of offer" issue was fixed yesterday.
Site is down this morning
Chris
Image

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: September 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Location: West Haverstraw NY

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#33 Post by Peter Shurman » February 10th, 2019, 6:04 am

cjsavino wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 5:28 am
Eric LeVine wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Correct. We have not implemented this in mobile yet.

The "lack of offer" issue was fixed yesterday.
Site is down this morning
is the 10 minutes up ... neener
keeping those ITB in business

User avatar
David Mc
Posts: 122
Joined: May 21st, 2014, 4:19 pm
Location: Maryland, DC Suburbs

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#34 Post by David Mc » February 10th, 2019, 6:06 am

I get this every time I search for a wine:

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.
If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.
Mc = M c I n t i r e

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18438
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#35 Post by Brian Tuite » February 10th, 2019, 6:51 am

cjsavino wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 5:28 am
Eric LeVine wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Correct. We have not implemented this in mobile yet.

The "lack of offer" issue was fixed yesterday.
Site is down this morning
95819E47-7B21-4C47-A390-094C22DA211B.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#36 Post by Eric LeVine » February 10th, 2019, 7:50 am

Sorry all. Everything is back up.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
David_K
Posts: 687
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#37 Post by David_K » February 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Eric, how does the Wine-Searcher plug-in calculate the price? For me it's always off by a few cents. For example -- 2014 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Grosses Gewachs on theWine-Searcher button says $64.50, but it's available at a single retailer for $65.00 even. 2014 Philippe Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Sec on the button says $42.57, but the W-S low is $42.75.

The button almost always seems to be a few cents cheaper. Not a big deal, just wondering.
K@ntrОwi╦z

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#38 Post by Eric LeVine » February 12th, 2019, 12:25 pm

We show the wine-searcher minimum price, and the way that is calculated is described here: https://www.wine-searcher.com/average-price
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 31243
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 12th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 12:25 pm
We show the wine-searcher minimum price, and the way that is calculated is described here: https://www.wine-searcher.com/average-price
Interesting. "Minimum price" is by definition not the minimum price.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1753
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#40 Post by Robert M yers » February 12th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Does it search pro or regular?

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#41 Post by Eric LeVine » February 13th, 2019, 10:18 am

Robert M yers wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 7:17 pm
Does it search pro or regular?
We call their API. We give you a link to their site. They determine pro or regular.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1753
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#42 Post by Robert M yers » February 13th, 2019, 10:35 am

Yes but a price shows before I click the link which price is that from?

User avatar
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12326
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: CT+ WS + Vivino???!!!!

#43 Post by Eric LeVine » February 13th, 2019, 11:15 am

Robert M yers wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 10:35 am
Yes but a price shows before I click the link which price is that from?
Repeating post 38 where I already answer this exact question:

We show the wine-searcher minimum price, and the way that is calculated is described here: https://www.wine-searcher.com/average-price
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”