TN: A Good Tuesday, vII: '08 Dom Perignon, '12 Re, '93 Raffault Chenin, '85 Leoville Barton, '00 Cuchet Beliando Cornas

A GOOD TUESDAY, VOL II - (2/6/2019)

Got together with some of the usual suspects last night. This group has been on a streak. Seems whenever we get together the wines all show really well. Lucky us.
Good group, a Berserker or two. A rather eclectic mix, but all very good to great wines.

• 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    This so good already. First whiff, smells like great white Burgundy at its core, and it’s takeoff from there. Tropical fruit, tangerine, green apple, it’s already giving the goods. There is some structure, but so pure and precise. Creamy mousse and acidity for days. It sails on. Powerful. Already more giving and interesting than the '09 and '06 from my recent memory. [/b]
  • 2012 Bodegas Re Pinot Noir Velado - Chile, Casablanca Valley
    Fascinating stuff Brad K brought back from Chile. White pinot noir vinified as rose and pressed oxidative style with yeast. Has a nose of sherry and oxidative note of a Jura wine or LdH white. But a greater intensity here, and a yeasty and savory style. Kept changing in the glass over the course of the night. Really interesting wine that was quite fun to drink but also challenges you a bit.
  • 1993 Olga Raffault Chinon Le Champ-Chenin - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon
    Have had a lot of aged Raffault, but never a Chenin. This was served blind, and came out of left field. Our first guesses were all over the place. I somehow got to Chenin Blanc after all of whiffs and Brad K nailed the vintage as we got dialed in. Started with a big nose of citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit. Very edgy. Almost tasted like unripe grapes at first. Really linear, and crazy bright acidity that is lively. Doesn’t taste 26 years old. Turns waxy and becomes more obviously Chenin with air. An interesting ride.
  • 2000 Cuchet Beliando Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    This is really showing so well now. Powerful nose of earth, meat, little horsey. Dark fruit, that still tastes young, and so light, yet it really penetrates. Really savory, some Olive and meaty notes. Acidity that really carries this along. I’m in no rush on these. One of the better Cornas experiences I’ve had in some time. Memorable.
  • 1985 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    What a terrific showing. Still pretty packed with polished fruit. Supple and fresh on the palate, tannis mostly resolved. Drinking so well. Tobacco and black olive, drying cherry fruit. Really tasty. Mature St Julien goodness from a rich year. Really fantastic and seems it will drink well for a while yet. Would love more of this.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds like a good night. I’m particularly jealous about the ‘85 Leoville Barton, which was the first wine I ever bought. It was $22.99 at Buckhead Fine Wine, IIRC, and I drank a ton of it, but probably had my last one about 15 years ago.

A friend brought that one. I’m not a big Bdx guy, but it was really lovely. Also, Mike- Despite living right down the road, I had never been to Dish Dive. To keep in mind- Good for a small group with bottles- Zero corkage and good eats in a super casual setting.

Wow, fantastic line up of interesting wines [cheers.gif]

Great notes, Dennis!

In a similar boat. Very fond memories. The 1985 Barton and Lynch Bages are what hooked me into bordeaux.

Dennis drinks like a pro! Good work buddy. I have some of the 2000 Cuchet, but have not cracked it. A 2011 was gorgeous, but I’m a big fan of that transparent vintage. The '93 Champ Chenin is a freaky little wine, quite distinct. I’ve had it twice last several years. Seems like it can go on forever. Waxy and wooly is about right, and crazy high acid. MarcF said drinking it is like going to the circus to go look at the boy with the lobster claw hands.

I opened my only bottle of that 1993 O. Raffault at sfJoe’s wake some years ago. Liked it a lot but it didn’t convince me to move my chenin buying away from the usual suspects.

Sounds like a fine dinner though after rereading I’m pretty sure my original assumption that Brad K meant Brad Kane (who better to identify a chenin vintage?) was not correct.

Ha! I like that description on the Chenin. Methinks you will be quite happy with the 2000 Cuchet. Glad to have more, and one '95 for some day soon.

I also would not run out for more, though, it was an interesting study. And a good one for blinding. Brad Kaplan not Kane, in this case.

You guys are killing me! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Great notes Dennis.

Thanks, Don. Missed you last night. Hope you are enjoying the family time!