Wine List Help - Jiko (Disney Animal Kingdom)

I know pretty much nothing about South Africa. Wine. What is good here? Any help appreciated!

P.S. Alfert and Frontario - if only I could steal away this time! Next time I’m dragged by family to Orlando, hopefully…

The MR was great when i was there last, if they still have it.

We’ve eaten there quite a few times.
Tell the front desk that you are a real wine geek and that you want a somm/server.
You will likely get extra treats.

The food is (used to be) quite good but a new chef now I think.

No worries, Noah! Enjoy. I have always enjoyed the place. I like Raats Cab Franc. One of the better Cab Francs not from Loire. Vintage dependent, of course, but it’s generally a solid buy. Not a blockbuster, just down the middle, reliable and not expensive. The Kanonkop Pinotage is always quite interesting, and their Cab blends are decent. The Raats Chenin Blanc unoaked is one of the best white wine values in the world. Always solid and stoopid cheap.

The Somm might push Toren, Fusion. Pretty modern stuff, pass.

Might be a good time for beer.

Hamilton Russell is a solid producer. They made the cut to pour their Pinot at IPNC.

Robert

I’d disagree. The wine list there is excellent. South Africa has some really great wines.

Probably my favorite producer from South Africa. The Chardonnay is one of the better Chardonnay values out there in my opinion.

Raats cab franc is also a good choice. Very interesting. It can be a bit too vegetal and have too much of a green pepper bite though.

Was there few years ago.
Spoke w the somm, gave my preference and got a great bottle recommended for dinner.

Bellingham Old Vine Chennin Blanc is outstanding if its the 2015 vintage.

• 12 months french oak (50%), year of ageing on lees with battonage. Grapes are sourced from 45+ year old vines in the Coastal region with the bulk of it coming from Swartland. If you like oaky cali chard this is a good substitute with very bright acidity. Pass on 16

Boschendal “Elgin” Chardonnay is a cooler climate chardonnay. They should have 2011 or 2014. Ringer for nice budget white burgundy imo.

Sadie Family Columella is great but… if its a more recent vintage it might be too young. I had an 04 vintage back in August and it was still crazy young and tannic. $200 is a pretty fair price.

Bellingham Bernard Series SMV blend. The 2011 vintage is killer right now especially if you give it an hour of air time. THIS WOULD BE MY RED PICK.

Other suggestions above are reliable… Hamilton Russell, Morgenster, and Kannonkop are all good.

I went through the list.

I recommend you only say, “I am Groot” throughout the entire experience (using different inflections, of course) and see what they serve you.

Let us know what you decide on and how it was. I’ve becoming more curious about SA wine after tasting some great examples. WOSA has been making a huge push to promote them for those ITB in the USA.

I get teased for liking “The Chocolate Block” from Boekenhoutskloof, but I do. Complete opposite of what I make. +1 Hamilton Russell and will add the Rust en Vrede wines to the list too. When we ate there years ago we just asked the Somm to bring 12 wines btg as the courses came out for the four of us.

So went last night. Food was quite good (and a nice escape from the multiple force feeding character meals I had to endure throughout the previous three days).

The Raats Chenin was interested - closer to Sauvignon Blanc in aroma, with a lot of grapefruit and grass and a little bit of tropical overtone. Wasn’t much of the waxiness I associate with Loire or the brightness of, say, Sandlands, but definitely nice.

The second wine was an MR recommended by the Somm after discussing my tastes. It was a Bordeaux blend but CF-heavy and light on the wood. It was lovely and had clean, classic notes of green bell pepper, red bell pepper, tobacco leaf and mostly dark berry fruit. Was a 2015 and very approachable.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Kinda wished I’d had a chance to try more but I can only drink so much…

Excellent thread if we ever make it back to WDW!

Had the Spice Route last year. Enjoyed it.

Great restaurant. Was even better when we stayed at AKL and were able to imbide in cocktails, beers, etc.

We went there several years ago, had a great meal, and some very good South Africa wines following a discussion of our interests with the somm.

I was surprised that the wine available (in room dining st Grand Floridian, at EPCOT private dessert party, at Jiko) was quite decent all around, even the BTG stuff. Even the cocktail wine was Hogue Cab, which was not terrible and actually tasted like wine. GF had a bottle of buena vista Carnegie PN that was not unpleasant.

MR De Compostella, Red Blend -
Stellenbosch '11

Yep, I had the 2015 - only available vintage. See above.