Two from Oregon ('15 Morgen Long, '15 Thomas)

• 2015 Morgen Long Chardonnay Yamhill Vineyards - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (2/5/2019)
    I’m still yet to have a disappointing wine from Morgen Long. Bright, light clear pale yellow. This started too cold. As it warmed, flavors and scents of lemon peel, mineral, underripe apricot emerged. Vibrant and energetic - it’s appearance belies its concentration of flavor. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2015 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/5/2019)
    This was my first Thomas of the 2015 vintage, so I was excited. Unfortunately, upon removing the foil, there was evidence of seepage (small amount of pink on top, as well as a bit of mold). Decanted in a wide-bottom decanter. Aromas of slightly stewed fruit with a scent of almost like wilting flowers in there, too. There was fruit for sure, but I think this was off. It tasted decent, but came across too advanced for a 2015 PN from OR from this producer. I suppose grabbing this bottle instead of my others was serendipitous…still annoying. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

Shame about the Thomas.

Seth’s Morgen Long makes excellent wines!

I would re-try that Thomas in a couple of days. I love them but I dislike them young. They don’t taste too young they’re just odd when young. Ditto Clos Saron.

Thank you for the note Brandon, appreciate both your and Noah’s support! I haven’t had that 2015 since last April, probably time for a visit. Cheers!

Seeing many reviews of flawed ‘13 Thomas and this is the 2nd underwhelming review I have seen of the ‘15. Gives me pause as my experiences up through the ‘11 vintage are consistently good. Proof is in the bottle though so I will open both soon.

Tom

Tom-

I’m hoping the poor showing was due to the seepage and, consequently, premature ageing.