Should I buy lesser ‘16 Bords?

I’m not a huge Bordeaux drinker but I’m intrigued by the hype. I was very happy with several mixed cases of $20 2000 Bords and suspect that 2016 may offer similar opportunities. The catch? I’m 62 years old. I hope that I’ll have a decent palate for 10+ more years but my kids have no interest and I’m not talking about investment grade wines. When do you drink satellite appellations and minor chateaux? I suspect that the answer is ‘depends how you like them ‘. That worries me as I found my 2000s best fairly recently. What do you think?

Well, I am 62 as well, I am a bdx drinker, I am also intrigued by the hype . . . but I am not buying.

It is conceivable a deal will pop up on half bottles that I will find too sweet to pass up, but generally, I am done buying recent-vintage reds meant to age. There are lots of really terrific bdx wines with bottle age to buy if/when I end my moratorium. And the thing is, if some of these 16s end up being simply irresistible in 10 years, I am betting some will be available for sale. This is not your last opportunity to buy, and I am not convinced that the prices will be significantly greater in real dollars 10 years from now.

Nope. Not succumbing.

Plenty of good older Bordeaux around, with enough bottle age. No need to rush in to buy wines that at minimum still need another eight to ten years.

One of the marks of a great vintage is that the quality extends widely and is not limited to the expensive wines. This appears to be one of those vintages. Many of the Cru Bordeaux are meant to be drunk earlier than later. Looking at Neal Martin’s report on the “inexpensive” Bordeaux, most of the drinking windows are 2020-ish to 2030-ish. Charmail, for instance, received a 91 and had a drinking window of 2021-2032. Something like Sansonnet, which is a bit more substantial, received a 94 and had a drinking window of 2022-2042; it also runs around $36-40, so both the drinking window and the price may be above what you are seeking. The Tour Saint Christophe received wide praise (NM gave it a 94+), has a drinking window of 2022-2048, and can be had for under $30. Again, maybe these last wines are too long-term for your intent.

I suggest re-buy 2000 bdx.

Neal’s advice is quite sage. I’m a weekly Bordeaux drinker, aged 53, and not really buying. I may grab some, like my regulars Sociando and Lanessan, but will see. Was in TW this weekend with a 15% coupon, and grabbed yet more 2014 Lanessan. The 2015 was $5 more, $20 versus $25, yet the 2014 is a much better wine IMHO.

I’m not sure I would want to drink many of the 2000’s you can find for under $30-35. Something like Charmail, which can be found for around $40 and was a good wine in its youth, had an original drinking window extending to 2014.

Depends on what you look for in a bdx. I had an 00 Haut Bages Liberal a month or so ago and it was barely creeping up on maturity. I have opened very few of my 2000s.

yes, try '16 Clos Marsalette (pessac-leognan) for ~$25.

Who “made” that window? It could be bullshit.

I’ve had a flurry of excellent 2000 Crus over the last couple of years, none of them are falling off the cliff.

FWIW, I bought a 6 pack of 2000 Charmail and found them hot and goopy except for 1 that I buried and opened this year. I still didn’t like it as much as others (e.g. Cantemerle) but it had calmed a bit. Living in PA complicates access to back vintages (current vintages too but there is a bit more available). Thanks for the thoughtful responses and recommendations.

The cheapest is $50 and the next is $75. I assumed that was out of his price range. Lots of 2000’s are not ready to drink; I’m sitting a bunch myself.

I think the answer depends on how you like BDX.

I tend to find that lesser BDX rarely drinks that well young - 2016 Senejac right now is downright repulsive to me, but I’m sure in 20 years it’ll be a different kettle of fish. So in your shoes, I’d be looking at 2004, 2006 and just maybe 2008. If you are in the preferring younger BDX camp, sensible buying in 2014 will yield some very good classicist wines.

Even now I’m drinking very minor Chateaux from 98 and 99 but that’s because of how I like BDX.

I haven’t looked at prices for lower level 00 bdx in a long time, but the HBL was roughly in the Charmail class at the time as I recall. I know I did not spend a lot of money on them, and bought them as early-maturing cheapies. Turned out not to be the case. Today the Charmail is ~$40 (two places; next is $90!!!) and the HBL is ~$50. Not a great time to be buying low level wine from that vintage

Just opened a 2000 Clos du Marquis last night and it is finally in its drinking window…very enjoyable and worth seeking out

Why not? There are stacks of well priced petit chateaux from 2015 and 2016 that will drink great on release. Personally, I prefer drinking those wines on the young side.

I do agree that, from my UGC tasting, the wines were more open and accessible than they have been in a while. I think with some decanting in play, you could probably try some within 2 or 3 years. That said, partially because of the Canadian pricing, I bought very little—to wit, a bottle of Beau-Sejour Becot and 2 bottles of Rouget. I am planning to open a bottle of the Rouget within a year of receiving it. With the caveat that what I want from a Bordeaux may be very, very different from my good friend Neal, and different from what you’re looking for.

Kwa Heri

Mike

What I want from a Bordeaux is for it to make me as smart as you, but that ain’t happening so . . .

Yes !
I did, and in 3 liters and Maggies.

Jeff,

Can you list a few of the 15/16 Petite Chateaux that you would recommend that are drinking well on release?

Thanks, Paul