[Poll] Who has the better $20-30 wines? Oregon or Burgundy?

Who has the better $20-30 wines?

• Oregon
  • Burgundy

0 voters

I was listening to the newest episode of one of my regular wine podcasts today (Wine for Normal People) on Oregon. From the outset the host laid the groundwork that she was possibly not happy about some things with Oregon. The claim ended up being that Oregon really struggles with quality consistency when compared to Burgundy in the $20-30(ish) range. I personally think this is kind of hogwash. I’m curious what others think. Id be more than happy to be convinced one way or the other, but Im curious if others share her sentiments.

I’d also love to know wines that you think back up your claim!

Sadly, $20-30 is a tough price range for red Burgundy in today’s day and age. Village wines from the Nuits and premiers from the Cote de Beaune are over $50 now. I think you can find wines from e.g. St Innocent that are IMO significantly better than the generic Bourgogne or satellite region wines you can get from Burgundy. But with that said, it’s about style. If you want something more light/crisp/tart/elegant than you may prefer certain Burgundies. Oregon pinots have much less extreme fruit than California pinots but I still sometimes find them bit sweet and rustic at times compared to Burgundy.

Well, I feel the exact opposite. I think Oregon is head and shoulders above Burgundy for QpR, definitely in the $20-$30 range.

I think the value is similar in that price range, and up to about $70-$80, above which I have to give it to Burgundy. There are some surprisingly good Oregon Pinot Noirs and red Burgundies in the $25-$30 range. Well chosen wines $20-$25 are simple but well made and very drinkable from either place. There’s also a lot of crap in that price range (and up) in both categories, so it’s all about being selective.

Anyway, flawed poll because I think they’re about equal in that price range.

I think the best way to test this out is to try some wines from both regions in this price range. For burgundies, try Bourgogne rouge from Hudelot-Noellat, Jouan, Juillot or Domaine des Moirots; Chorey les Beaune from Dublere or Drouhin or Mercury from Faiveley.

If you include Macon, Pouilly Fuisse and Beaujolais as Burgundy, then I think Burgundy takes the belt. If only Cote du Beaune and Nuits then Burgundy by a hair.

I’m with you. especially from a consistency standpoint in that price range. its either a not as good producer or a bad vintage in the 20-30 range for Burgundy I think.

That being said, I think the sweet spot for Oregon is really more skewed towards the 30s than the 20s.

lets say at least not Beaujolais and say we’re comparing pinot and chard to pinot and chard. so what burgs are you buying in this price range that convince you?

For reds I think definitely Oregon in that price range. There are a (very) few good red burgundies under $30 (assuming US retail pricing) but there are quite a few really good Oregon Pinot Noirs at under 30 even under 20. For Chardonnay I’m going to say burgundy though, particularly if you include Chablis, but also for Bourgogne Blanc. I don’t have nearly as much experience with OR chard though.

I’ve listened to that podcast before. She’s never been much of an Oregon pinot fan and more often than not spoke of vintage variation as a reason for not recommending Oregon Pinot. She’s not wrong, but I’m not sure how much Oregon Pinot she’s had and if her opinion is only based on the mass market producers. Unless she’s traveled recently, she’s never been/spoken of being in Oregon.

+1 for Chardonnay. I haven’t had enough red Bourgogne to judge.

One thing I have to say about the Oregon Pinots is they are versatile and reasonable through most of the wine makers. You can find Burgundian Pinot in most vintages and fruit forward, “Cali style” Pinots in the same vintage. The Oregon Pinots are very diverse but I will admit the wines vary according to weather. Right now, I’m drinking a 2015 Sineann Oregon Pinot Noir, (27.99), Stelvin enclosure, that is not only holding its own after a Hahn SLH Pinot, it’s showing very well with its own character, body, fruit and spice.

Chards I can’t speak to.

If we’re talking the single best cherry-picked bottle, my vote is for burgundy. If we’re talking what there’s a reasonable selection of readily available wines in the price range, then Oregon.

Maybe she doesn’t get any good free stuff from Oregonians.

A slight tangent but I’m finding it harder to find sub $30 AUD Pinot Noir domestically here in Australia. I was over in the Mornington Peninsula early last year and my plan was to find as many under $30 AUD pinots as possible that suited my palate as a daily quaffer. My reasoning is that from ~$40 AUD and upwards I can land Burgundy that’s better suited to my tastes and often I find in the $50 and up category domestic pinot is (in broad brushstrokes) over extracted and over oaked.

Anyway, after a half dozen cellar door visits I found exactly 1 pinot that suited my requirements from a price and palate perspective. Most cellar doors didn’t even have an offering at $30 or under.

Similar experience in December when I went to the Willamette Valley for the day. Most pinots there seem to start at $50 and go north of that quick. It seems that we’re all quite accustomed to lamenting the price rise in Burgundy but less so in our own backyard.

she did specifically mention that they’ve traveled to Walla Walla but never to Oregon. I think its funny to lament vintage variation in Oregon and claim variability as the problem when compared to BURGUNDY, the poster child for variability (which is what she did). she also did mention the fact that things like Chat. St Michelle and other large wineries are buying properties is a good thing… which I also disagree with.

I think that the latter is definitely more the discussion AND what the host of the podcast was discussing. maybe its different if I’m shopping in Beaune… but the host isn’t doing that either, she’s in Raleigh. Ive been there, I know she’s getting a better selection of Oregon wines than Burgs haha

I’m with you. prices are going up everywhere for sure. BUT places like Christies definitely aren’t calling either of our domestics the biggest market movers or grossers from their auctions of the year either like they are Burgs.

Drouhin (specifically for red: Côte de Beaune and Côte de Nuits, for white: Vaudon) Charles Audoin, Hudelot-Nöellat, and Nicolas Potel easily put Burgundy ahead of Oregon in the value department. Most Oregon Pinot Noir has a taste of artificial sweetener that kills the enjoyment.

I didn’t realize this. Tell me more.

RT

Perhaps you need to read the newsletter that you, Ron and Dennis are writing. [snort.gif] newhere

[*]

Nothing more to tell. I perceive a hint of aspartame in most US Pinot Noirs in the under-$40 range. I don’t know why I taste it; I don’t know if there’s an actual additive (Mega-Red or Mega-Purple, or something else) or not that causes it; I don’t even know if I’m crazy or not. I’m just relaying my experience and won’t be baited into an argument over opinions, which seems to be all the rage here.

This is my first thought, too, from my limited experience in these regions.