2005 Christophe Billon Côte-Rôtie La Brocarde

I am never quite sure what to make of a review describing a wine as “burgundian”. In the case of Cote Rotie, is that lauding with high praise or damning with faint praise? Nonetheless, that is the first descriptive that entered my mind, along with the accompanying cherry fruit and supple earth. Tannins were mostly resolved, resulting in a soft texture that was quite easy to drink, but I suspect it still has a decade of life in it.

On the other hand, it was served with my wife’s (delicious) grilled kufta, which really calls for the wilder side of syrah IMHO. This wine had neither the power nor the funk nor the fierceness that sometimes necessitate a viognier co-fermentation.

Maybe it had a wilder youth/adolescence? Those who prefer a calmer style of syrah will be pleased. If served blind and told it was a 1er Nuits St. Georges, I probably would rate it higher. Next time I will pull out a cornas. 91

I feel with syrah, saying it’s ‘Burgundian’ is trying to make it something it is not. That said, Cote Rotie’s tend toward the more polished examples of the grape.

When I use the term it is always purely a stylistic comment but just like with CT points it most probably depends on who is talking. I most certainly do not mean that the wine would be a dead-ringer for a Pinot Noir but instead that it is a more feminine, light-bodied and restrained version of the variety. Now for some this surely is not the preferred style of Northern Rhône Syrah but I personally look for balance and authenticity first and foremost, not how much power or concentration there is. Thanks for the note!

I tried the 2015 Rozier and it was as you describe. Very elegant wine but with lots of earthy complexity for a young wine. Would buy again.