TN: NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé

• NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/2/2019)
    Wow, this far exceeded expectations. Lots of energy with good cut from citrus acidity that keeps nice cherry and strawberry flavors fresh and lively. There is also a mineral streak that runs through to the finish. Great value and will improve further with additional age. First experience with this producer and I will be looking to buy more.

Posted from CellarTracker

you Godmé with this note. Will seek it out.

Russ, you found a good one here. Really great wine at an affordable price, and Hugues is a dedicated, clean farmer for his wines, which I really appreciate. I too need to reload…will ask Greg about it.

• NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (9/21/2018)
    My last 375, and I dig these. Good cut and flavor again.
  • NV Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/8/2018)
    This showed really well. Didn’t get the back label specs but from what I recall, majority of PN and the rest Chard. 8 g/l dosage, which I thought was nicely integrated (akin to the brilliance of Vilmart’s dosaging touch). Crisp, red fruited flavors and very refreshing to me. Enjoyed this a lot and thanks to the host, Mr Kennedy, for sourcing it for the afternoon, too.
  • NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/10/2018)
    We drank a 375 of this earlier in the week, a wine that I consistently have enjoyed. The bottle for this note was from 750, and because Godme doesn’t list the disgorge date on their back label, I have neither bottle date. 65% PN, 35% Chard with a very healthy dose of reserve wine (50%, and unsure of the base vintage for the balance). 4 g/l. Fleshy, stone fruit pit, zesty. This bottle showed a nice rugged quality, with bright citrus. Finishes with a red fruit quality and the same zesty tone. When I drink this Rose, I consistently get the energy and fruit. It’s what I like about Godme.
  • NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/6/2018)
    From 375 with a light weeknight dinner. I really have get more of these, as they are just the right quantity for my wife and I to enjoy and finish through the meal. 65 PN, 35 Chard @ 6 g/l. Peach colored, cherry, green apple, citrus and brisk enough to be refreshing but not taut. I continue to enjoy this Godme Rose.

FWIW, I visited these guys last year. A few photos below. Great people.

Great people and wonderful bubbles!

FM3, bug Greg because we need more too.

Frank - definitely let Greg know there is demand for Hugues’ wines.

Done.

Do they provide DG info?

On these Jim, no.

LOL

I’ve been wanting to try their Champagne for a while too. Hopefully I can get in on that Envoyer train before it’s all sold out [truce.gif]

I think I have a bottle left, if so, I’ll save it for the next time we’re together.

Hey, don’t forget his sister Sabine! Maybe not as clean but just as delicious.

Lean and mean green apple, really good, with strong acid and light brioche. There’s a strong undertone of salinity which hinted at Godme as I’ve noted that “salty” flavor with them before. The finish is angular and there’s a caraway seed across the tongue. Really like this wine but prefer it with something to snack on.

• NV Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/8/2018)
    This was fantastic. I like Rosé but not sweeter sparklers and this showed a great balance. Definitely get the Pinot and still wine backbone. Very nice acidity. Price is great.
  • 2008 Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/1/2018)
    New Years 2018: Light yellow color. I’m pulling a little warm croissant from the nose and citrus. The flavor is light green apple and very fine yet aggressive effervescenes resulting in a long and sharp finish. Food wine for me so it worked well with the appetizers.
  • NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/22/2017)
    Light red colored. Strawberry creme and medium acidity. Very nice and good value in a Rosé.

The wines of Sabine and Hugues are just now starting to come out as separately farmed and made wines. Most of what we have been drinking until now is really the same wine that was intended to be released as the old Godme label where Hugues did the farming and winemaking and Sabine the commercial side of things. Post the split of the Godme label, up until very recently, both labels were the same juice. As the wines were intended to be released under the Godme label, Hugues set the vision for the farming and winemaking, but after the split, the wines were released with different dosages and disgorgement/release dates (and cuvee names too). It is going to take a few years to flesh out what is what between Sabine and Hugues. Hugues is a talented man, but Sabine and her husband are not slouches either (they handled the winemaking prior to Hugues). It will be fun to follow both as they chart their own course and get used to only having have the vineyard spots they used to.

One of the big differences between the two was that Hugues wanted to go full speed into Bio-dynamics without a second thought. Sabine wanted to go more slowly and keep options open with an intention to be organic, but not at the expense of a lost crop or poor wine. There also were issues over reserve wines as to be Bio-dynamic certified you need to have all the wines used be farmed Bio-dynamically. This led to some interesting Godme blends that were 80-90% reserve wine in order to clear the cellars of non-Bio wine.

Regardless, all the Godmes are good folks and make good wine.

I did not realize there was a split. Godme was one of those labels I liked every time I had it but never bought enough of it. I’ve always remembered their wines displaying great balance and reserve while displaying an intriguing expression. Somewhat rare for Champagne or really anywhere. I look forward to exploring the new releases from both houses.

Brig: thanks for the notes and offer. Nice call on the 2008 blind!

Brad: I remember reading Frank’s Champagne write up talking about how there was a curtain separating their cellar during his visit. Thanks for filing us in with the details.

Cris: if you’re a fan it must be some good stuff [cheers.gif]

Back at Envoyer for $39.99

I jumped on some more.

Remembered this thread and jumped in for a re-load as well.

Requested 2 just to check them out. If I dont like them I’m blaming Frank.

In for two based on all the hype here.

Thanks Neal for the info and guys for chiming in. I didn’t get the email offer so I sent them an email requesting two if still available [berserker.gif]

I moved to Irvine last week, so I’ll be a lot closer to Envoyer now [help.gif]

I wish their website was better. Is Frank the right channel to put in this request? [snort.gif]

Frank has his own portal.

Yeah, the website is a mess. But frankly, if they had a super website competition for the gems would increase so status quo is ok for me.

NOT THAT I’M BUYING!