TN: 2009 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard

• 2009 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (2/2/2019)
    90 minute decant followed for 4 hours. Decant necessary to avoid sediment and it needed air. This wine is currently a bit subdued, which is of course unusual for a Thomas Rivers Brown wine. I was looking for Howell Mountain spice, but there wasn’t any. Duh! The vineyard is on the valley floor east of St. Helena Highway. Integrated assorted red fruit palate. I can’t point to a particular fruit flavor. It’s not like “Oh, this is grenache raspberry.” A balanced integrated whole. Extremely smooth with no hint of oak. The tanins are softening but no sweetness. There is also an acidic citrusy component to this wine at first approach.

I think this wine needs another five years or more before it peaks. It is ascendant and reaching the first level of maturity in that it has lost its baby fat and roughness, but still to blossom into what is still a bit hidden. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome note Jay, appreciate the update. Still sitting on one final 750 & also a mag of this…will definitely wait a few years on the former and sounds like I shouldn’t even consider opening the latter until I’m well into my 50s.